iTunes Partner or Bust...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ChocoMan, Jun 13, 2003.

1. ChocoMan macrumors newbie

ChocoMan

I run a small record label out of Austin, Texas. (http://chocolaterecords.com) Currently we are producing and distributing about 50 diverse artist. We have a very eclectic group of artist from around the world! and we are completely geared to supporting independent artists who "Think Different"

We've tried contacting Apple via email about becoming an "iTunes Partner" so we can distribute music on the iTunes store, but no response at all has come back...

Does anyone know who we should contact?

thanks!
    choco

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im sure they have been overwhelmed with people contacting them. i would just keep trying, im sure they would love to help you out. good luck, let us know how it goes.

iJon

3. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

From what CDBaby had posted before, it seemed like it was invitation only... maybe they'll be having a couple rounds of these invitation-only meetings though.

Alia

4. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

thats crappy. People who volunteer to add to the collection should be given the highest consideration- as Apple cannot expect to make money by dealing with the huge media mogules. Smaller companies built this country and should be given a fair shot to spread there wares and get some cash out of it too.

5. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Just another case how the music scene is not about the "music"... but only how large companies can profit... :(

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

:rolleyes:

Which is why Apple is currently working w/indie labels. There are only X amount of people at Apple working on getting new labels to go for the iTMS (including those over seas) you can't expect them to be at the beck and call of every label in the US. Logistically it's just an impossibility.

Lethal

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You can't possibly ask Apple to look at every single small fries record company in the country. Like Lethalwolfe said, its impossible. Sign the big 5 labels first, then sign medium-sized labels that concentrate on particular genres, THEN worry about everyone else.

If I were Apple, I wouldn't take the time to consider your company, either. It wouldn't be a smart business decision to go after you first, no offense.

8. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

yes, of course, I understand that. But, my comment reflects my opinion that anyone that volunteers to have their music on the service should get high consideration. Im not saying Apple should get everyone in the world on their service, but at least an email back would be nice.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's not a service, it's a business. I agree though that Apple should have some policy in place regarding the indies and someone sending out at the very least a form reply when someone enquires about selling their music in the store.

I sort of wonder if they really knew what they are getting themselves for....

10. bertagert macrumors 6502

Very much true. Although the artist at ChocoMan's shop might be the next big thing, the larger labels have the moola to promote their artist which sells records.

ChocoMan - its just a business/money thing. Prove Apple wrong and get some of your artist to sell big and Apple (any music store for that matter) will start listening. Its just how the game is played.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: iTunes Partner or Bust...

Get your catalog in order and ready to burn to AAC for Apple. You will need to do this. Apple takes care of most everything else. The software won't be available for something like another 4 months though so don't worry too much yet; other indies are going to have to wait as well.

Don't bother with e-mail. Write them a certified letter on company letterhead asking for information on joining the service and see what happens.

12. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Yeah, but their in the business or providing services. The iTMS is a service run by Apple (a business).

13. ChocoMan thread starter macrumors newbie

ChocoMan

Does anyone out there actually know the guidelines for an "iTunes Partnership"? or even the contact department's official name?

14. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

try calling apple corporate and see if they can direct your call...

15. ChocoMan thread starter macrumors newbie

ChocoMan

thnkx 4 the number...

thanks! I'll try it...

-choco