iTunes & Paypal setup problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elisha cuthbert, Sep 13, 2006.

1. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Ok so I have an Australian and I have been trying to set it up with a paypal account but I cannot find the option to add the paypal account, so I have been trying to set up an american account and it has been going fine until i try to add the paypal account, it says i have to add a credit card or debit card so I can use my paypal account, isnt it supposed to set it up with the paypal balance not a credit card?????
    please help me or instruct me on how i might be able to do this

2. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

3. grahamtearne macrumors regular

I am guessing your paypal has an Australian billing address from when you set paypal up to use your credit card. Even if you have a paypal balance (of lets say £100), Apple will still check your billing address and will determine it is not from the country of the store you are trying to create an account with.

The only way to create an American account without a US billing address is to buy a gift card for the US store. Look online for these, I got mine from ebay.co.uk (Im from england). The seller send the card via email (scratched it off for me scanned it and emailed it), I entered the code and entered a fake address. Its the only way I know of to get an American account without using a credit card (or paypal as paypal has your credit card billing address)

Graham

4. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

well i never set up my itunes account with a credit card sooo,
    ill get looking for a gift card though, by the way was the fake address 123 fake street or something more imaginative? because apple might get a bit sus with 50 people with the one address so, i might make up a new one

5. grahamtearne macrumors regular

well you need to use a zip code and all that, so what i recomend is to search for a hotel on google and use the hotels address and zip code.

I bought $50 card from ebay, redeemed it and created the account (doesnt ask for a credit card when you use gift cards) and entered a hotel address as my address, all worked fine. (I used Disney's Old Key West Resort as my address)

You could probably create a fake one randomly but then you need to sort out a zip code and all that.

Hope this helps.

6. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

hey, i am from new zealand ...
    so i can juz get a gift card off ebay and get an american account???

i really want the album artwork

7. elisha cuthbert thread starter macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

that works anyway, well at least with the aussie store

8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I'm from South Africa, and I use the US ITMS all the time, mainly for tv shows and movies:) :cool:

I just opened a US paypal account with a fake US address and telephone number, and it works fine:)

9. warfdelta macrumors newbie

will this work as a canadian?

can u start a us paypal account with a canadian credti card and use it to buy from the american itunes store?:confused:

10. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

You have to add a creditcard to use the paypal. It really stinks!! I live in Indiana (us) and I have my paypal account, but iTunes will not allow me to use it / paypal wont let me use it with iTunes, because I don't have a valid credit card on file. I think it's a crappy ordeal.

Because, logically, you would think. Using your paypal account, you would be using the funds in your paypal! It's supposed to be an option for those that don't want to use their credit card, or, for the ones like me that don't have a credit card.

Yet. you still have to put one on file, so.. it kind of makes the use of paypal, pointless. It's very annoying, because I keep having to buy gift cards, and then I end up having 98 cents left in my itunes, because all of the songs are 99 and.. of course when you but a CD it doesn't round it off or add tax, so, you pay the 9.99 instead of 10 etc.