iTunes: PC to Mac. Not working! Help.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Spocker, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Spocker macrumors newbie

Feb 23, 2005

I posted on this before and I used suggestions from some replies and suggestions in my Mac Mini user guide about hooking my PC and Mac together via a Ethernet cable.

I followed the instructions the guide had about letting both comps allow file sharing, then I tried to browse for the PC (from the Mac obviously) from the "Connect to Server" and there is nothing there! I have tried several different variations of this to no avail.

Most of the responses to my orig post said it was a very easy process. All I had to do was copy the iTunes folder and "drag" it to the Mini. Well, this "drag" mystery isn't as easy as I thought.

So, where am I messing up? Why can't the two comps "see" each other still? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Spocker (Clearly a Mac noob)
  2. Maxicek macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2004
    Connect to the Mac from the PC. Where you turned Windows Filesharing on it says something like "Windoze users can see your Mac as \\123.456.789.1\spocker"

Open a window (assuming that you are using XP) and type this in the address bar. If you are set up properly, you can see your user directory and off you go.

Hope this helps.
  3. admford macrumors member

May 13, 2003
    Umm... the ethernet cable, is it a Patch cable? There are actually two types of cables, the only difference is the wiring (send/recieve, and ack wires are in different positions). The ethernet patch cable is done so that you can connect two computers together through ethernet but without a hub.

If you're using a normal ethernet cable, then you'd need a hub and a second cable to connect the two computers together.

If your Mac can't see your PC when going under the network section of finder, then it's probable that the cable is the problem.
  4. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    the cable has no effect
    any computer with a decent network card (any mac and any modern pc) has soft-cross over functionality built-in.
    they can detect that the incorrect type of cable is used and make it into the right one via a software switch.

for the more technical minded:
    the mac does a software based RX/TX switch ... i know ... my powerbook and powermac are regularly connected via a standard blue ethernet cable (the same one that goes into my router and the same type that goes between my router and the main house router)
  5. ct77 macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    Perhaps try going the other way and enabling file sharing on your Mac, and browse to it from the Windows machine.

On your Mac, if you go to: System Preferences -> Sharing -> Services -> Enable "Windows Sharing".

The Windows machine should then be able to see at least one shared folder on your Mac, if you type:

... into the Address bar in Windows Explorer.

Note, of course, that x.x.x.x is the IP address of your Mac, and <username> is your user name on the Mac.

Hope this helps.
  6. ct77 macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    If you REALLY get stuck, you might consider the following product, it called "Move to Mac " and it's made by Detto, available at the Apple Store.

I've never tried it, but Apple used to promote it on its website's front page, so it is probably a good product.

Move to Mac should provide you with all the "equipment" you'll need (cables, etc), as well, it seamlessly copies over things like your web browser favourites, desktop wallpaper, etc.

The good news is, you won't regret this effort once you get your files on to your Mac -- that I can vouch for. :D (Proud iMac owner since 2002).

EDIT: Added link to Apple's Switch page describing Move to Mac product.