iTunes Playback

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carlsalter, Oct 21, 2006.

1. carlsalter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've recently added a 2nd disk to my powermac to store my iTunes library on. Since doing so, when ever I import new music from MP3s I find that the file won't playback properly. Each song is full of pops and clicks and sounds terrible, I have the same problem with music downloaded from the iTunes store.

The 2nd disk is Mac OS extended (Journaled). I've tried to check the permissions with the disk utilty but the verify permissions button is greyed out.

The original mp3 files play fine with VLC but iTunes seems to scramble them when importing, when I check the imported file with VLC I get the pops and clicks.

iTunes import is set to 128kbs MP3. The playback enhancements are all turned off. iTunes is also getting stroppy with my podcasts and won't let me seek without returning back to the start of the cast.

Very annoying!!

I'm currently using iTunes 7.0.1 on OSX 10.4.8 but had the same problem with previous versions of iTunes.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Carl

http://www.carlsalter.com

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is the iTunes app installed in the Applications folder on your boot drive? :)

3. carlsalter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's a completely standard install, just with a 2nd drive for storing iTunes and iPhoto libraries. :confused:

Carl

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, and what do you mean by import new music from MP3s? Are you converting MP3s using iTunes' Advanced menu or are you ripping music from CDs? If it's the latter, are they normal audio CDs or MP3 CDs? :)

5. carlsalter thread starter macrumors newbie

My music is all stored as MP3 on a windows server, I simply drag over the tracks I want on my iPod so I suppose iTunes is converting them from MP3 to MP3 again!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It shouldn't be converting them again unless you have a Shuffle, but even then it does the converting in the upload process, leaving the iTunes tracks intact. Talk us through how you get the tracks into iTunes. Is iTunes set to look after your files? Do you want the files to be kept on the server or on the computer with iTunes installed? :)

7. carlsalter thread starter macrumors newbie

Itunes is set to look after my library so anything that I import gets copied over to the 2nd disc. I let iTunes look after the library so that I can sync it with my powerbook making the music portable.

I've just tried manually copying an mp3 to the 2nd disc to see if its a hardware problem but the file plays just fine after copying. All very confusing!! :(

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, but no converting is taking place, is it? You've only told iTunes to copy the music, right? If so, then maybe manually copy across your iTunes library with Finder and then re-associate the library via iTunes. Admittedly it's a workaround that shouldn't be necessary (assuming it works in the first place). :eek:

9. carlsalter thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just checked the file sizes of the original and imported MP3s and they are very slightly different, clearly iTunes is doing some sort of conversion on them.

I get the same problem with music from the iTunes store which don't have any conversion applied.

Looks like i'll have to scrap that 2nd disc!

Carl

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you really want to use this second drive then you could transfer your music to it as if it were a new machine. Before trying this with your whole library, manually copy a song to the drive via Finder in an equivocal location on the second drive's music library (Artist/Album folder arrangement). Then, drag this MP3 to iTunes (assuming iTunes is still running from the second drive) to add it to your library. It shouldn't need to be copied since it's already in the correct location. Does this track play normally? :)