iTunes Playcount

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mlw1235, Aug 19, 2004.

1. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

When I listen to a song on my ipod, does it count towards the playcount on my PC??? :confused:

Just wondering.....

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm almost certain that it does not. :(

Not good for library sorting based on playcounts for those of us on the go.

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I doubt it- since it would have to send that information back to the computer when you connect- This couldn't take more than 5 minutes for you to test.

4. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I just tested this (after being horribly embarassed that I've had my iPod almost a year and didn't know!) and the answer is yes it does update the Play Count in iTunes.

This was with a 3G iPod, iTunes 4.6 OSX 10.3.5

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

yeah, only if you connect it though and you open iTunes.
    WOrks on Macs too, except my 3G iPod never really did that...or I just didn't notice that much of a change in play count for some songs..

6. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

My 3g does it fine. Took an experiment a while back to realize this though.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

all iPods should. My 2G did. My 3G is weird though, shrug

8. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

yep, my 3G does it too. I tested it a few times to make sure, and since iTunes opens automatically when I plug it in, it updates it every time.

9. PrometheusG5 macrumors member

Does a song have to be played from start to finish to count?

10. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

yes.

also, it only counts (3G ipod here, YMMV) towards your iTunes playcount IF you're automatically updating playlists. if you choose to manually manage your songs, your iPod playcount will not be transferred back to your machine.

11. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

What if you change the rating of a song while listening to it on the iPod? From 3 stars to 4, for instance.

12. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

It doesn't really have to be played from start to finish. If you start playing it, and then fast forward to the end it will still count it. It only doesn't count if you press the button to skip to the next song. The rating will update as well. I'm glad it does, it'd be rather stupid to let you change it there if it wouldn't update on your computer.

13. mlw1235 thread starter macrumors 6502

sounds good....

I would assume it does......just finished checking it out on my 4G...and it works......all these little ipod questions just build up, and so little time to find answers.... ;)

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

off topic (sorta)

I wish there was a preference to say that if a song gets to with in a user specified time of the end, then it would count as a "played" song. I hate having to wait until a song is completely done before selecting another. This only bothers me when I am trying to select a song on my iPod that is not next in line, say, from another playlist of another artist. Even worse, if the song playing is the last song in a list, I have to browse to the song I want to play next a couple of seconds before the playing songs ends or it goes back to the start-up display and I have to go find that song again.

15. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Yup :D any changes in play count or ratings should always update.

The only inconsistency that I have ever seen, and it is annoying, is when my playlist flip... example: iTunes playlist = song 1, song 2, song 3, etc... iPod updates and reads this way, starring at the bottom: song 3, song 4, song 1 :mad: annoying.

Wish list:
    I wish that iTunes would keep track of the total amount of time spent listening to tunes :)

16. dav macrumors 6502

EW, I HATE when iTunes does that to me...

17. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Have you found any solutions?

It is really annoying when you have a playlist of say 100 songs and they are in order of newest to oldest.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

On a quite unrelated note, one of my friends has a cellphone that counts the number of text messages sent. He sent 11000 in one month! :eek:

And because of people like him, that particular company doesn't offer flat rate texting anymore :rolleyes:

19. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Wow, I've never seen my playlists flip. Is there any reason for that? If you use iTunesRegistry.com, it keeps track to total time spent listening. It's pretty cool :)

20. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

yes you can doooo that go to get info on the song then options and end any time you want

21. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

True. Actually I just used that because I had a song that had a dead minute and a half at the end. However, he wanted it to count as a played song before the end, not actually end the song. (right wwooden?)

22. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

yes MacFan26

That is exactly what I mean. I don't want to lose any off the end, but sometimes just want to switch to a different song before the one playing is done and still have it count.