iTunes Playlist question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jxyama, May 29, 2003.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    I recently got an iPod. I love it, but I'd like to learn more about playlists...

How do you guys have the playlist set up? What do you think is the best way to organize playlists?

I used to have a playlist for each musician and the album. (ex. "U2: Unforgettable Fire," "U2: Zooropa," etc.)

Then I realized that this can be accessed under "Artists" option, so these playlists are kinda useless. I then made playlists for soundtracks/compilations because they have different musicians, but then, I realized I can access that under "Albums."

So... I'm just curious how different people set up their playlists...
  2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    I usually make 'em similar (not the same) to the genre.
    It depends which mood I'm in which genre I want to hear.
    So, I got playlists like: "LOUD", "Depressed", "Popular"...
  3. Duckie macrumors newbie

May 10, 2003
    I never had too much of a use for playlists. I just set my whole library on random. :)
  4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I usually go by genre, but some of them are just mixes I have put together. Songs that I like in conjunction with other ones and the like.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i think most people use them for genre or event. You might have a "morning drive" or "afternoon jog" playlist, songs that you'd want to hear.

many of my MP3's are very old and don't have full ID tags, and i don't want to spend time choosing a genre for each song... so i don't use playlists much at all... right now i just have one for MP3 and one for AAC, so I can tell what portion of my library needs to be re-ripped into the new format...

6. senseibiz macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I select them mostly by genre, I use the smart playlist to make them. Then I use the playlist feature to make my own mixes...
  7. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2002
    I have mostly smart playlists:

Last Played is not in the last 1 week.
    Play count is less than 2, high rating, last played is in the last week.
    Album added in the last week.
  8. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    ahh... some really neat ideas.

thanks guys. i now just have to wait until the day is over to try some of these ideas at home... (kinda slow day at work... :( )
  9. Foxer macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    My first playlist existed beacuse my iTunes library wouldn't fit on my old 10GB iPod. I bought the iPod specifically to replace the mix tapes (and later mix discs) that I had been accumulating since the late 80's. They were all important to me, but the sound was degrading badly from use and age. So I combined them all into one big playlist which was the entire contents of my iPod until I got the 30 GB last month. Later on I broke the one big playlist into MANY smaller ones for each old tape I had.

It took awhile to make the playlist, but it was absolutely worth it.

Still, I only actually listen to the playlists on the iPod. While sitting at the computer, I pretty much use only the random play feature. I also always have an "open" playlist called "next mix" which I add songs to as they strike me.