Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
You guys really shouldn't be giving Apple all the credit. If it wasn't for Amazon selling DRM free music for .89cents Apple would have never lowered the price from 1.29. Its funny because it took Apple less than 1month to lower its price after Amazon annoucned it enetered into the music business and its pricing model. Amazon is cheaper and we owe it to them for really setting the standards.

We owe them for them acting completely in their own corporate, profit-motivated self-interest?

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I'm very happy about this. WHen the day soon comes that I buy more music, I'll only be purchasing non-DRM tracks, so this makes things easier.

asrai

macrumors member
May 11, 2005
Bravo, Apple! :) Now that there's no price premium, I have to make sure my account is set to get iTunes+ versions when possible. :)

K, I'll bite, where is this setting exactly? I looked around and haven't come across it.

Thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
</ just kidding>

Love it! :D

Just don't make the emo students from the student discount thread start cutting again! :p

skitched-20070920-170308.jpg

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
Great news...but too late. I already bought all the albums I was interested in buying this year... from Amazon. :(

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
Glad to hear this. But I believe Apple was the hold-out on these, not the labels. For example, Nettwerk songs have been DRM free on emusic, amiestreet and other places for some time. Am I expected to believe that Nettwerk has been demanding DRM on Apple but plain old mp3 elsewhere???

It almost sounds like Apple went from "Everyone gets DRM unless you negotiate otherwise" to "No DRM unless you specifically request it"

happylittlemac

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
Scotland
Great news another step in the right direction, Amazon's music shop is interesting but rough on the edges. However I don't see Universal signing up to a DRM-free system from iTunes.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Any way to upgrade old purchases at no cost like you could for .30 before?

This has been discussed in other threads, but I'll mention it here. Do you think that bandwidth is free? If you know that it's not, why do you expect that Apple will spend the money on the bandwidth for you to download the unlocked version of the song, and not expect you to pay anything for it? Sure they locked and unlocked versions are the same price, but if you already bought a locked version and now want to buy an unlocked version, the bandwidth from both downloads still needs to be paid for.

$.30 is hardly exorbitant. And I doubt it will ever be free to upgrade. It might, possibly, drop to something like $.15, but I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath for that.

blehpunk

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
ok now i want to upgrade for free or cheaper or at least select what i want to upgrade. and not all albums are .99 the gorillaz album that steve likes so much still has all the songs at 1.29.

SthrnCmfrtr

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Do you hear dog whistles also? I can't tell the difference between 160 and 128 and that is with using noise cancelling in-ear buds. I wonder if your sense of 256 is psychosomatic, that you think you hear a difference.

I'm not calling you crazy, just that I would love to see if there is a research paper out there that determines what the human ear can really differeniate between.

The particular setup is of great importance. If you're listening to Bose equipment or worse, you might not be able to tell a difference, and I might not either.

But on my cheap system (Apple TV -optical-> Logitech Z-5450 speakers), I can definitely tell the difference between 256kbps and Lossless. Moreso on some songs than others. Songs with applause (I like live albums, particularly by the Doors) or decently-miked cymbals translate terribly to mp3 (you get this wonderful "phasing" [sorta] distortion). I've heard that AAC is superior to mp3 for a given bitrate, but I honestly haven't tried it.

Also, what works for stereo might not necessarily work all that well if you're listening to your music in surround, like I always do. The rear speakers playing an mp3 sound terrible -- more distortion and general cold/dead sound, whereas they sound perfect with a lossless file.

There was a thread around here sometime back where someone posted soundfiles of what various lossy compression schemes take out of the song. It might surprise you.

Disclaimer: I'm hardly an audiophile. *points at his Logitech speakers* And not all of my music is lossless. But I can genuinely tell a difference. That's why I upgraded to lossless in the first place -- because I was unsatisfied with the sound quality of mp3s.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Great news another step in the right direction, Amazon's music shop is interesting but rough on the edges. However I don't see Universal signing up to a DRM-free system from iTunes.

The end goal of all of this for Apple is to have independent studios, using Apple production products (MacPro, Soundtrack, Final Cut, Motion etc) to produce audio and video from artists, upload it right to iTunes and into our ipods. Probably 10 years out.

And I welcome it, most of what the major labels put out these days is garbage, and the processing power and tools are available now to more people than ever.

Djspice

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
E-Town!
Great news...but too late. I already bought all the albums I was interested in buying this year... from Amazon. :(

You only buy albums once a year? You know they put out new ones every Tuesday, right? And some of them are pretty good.

Well, 160 GB Classic...here I come!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Why are many tracks still showing up as $1.29? Shouldn't they have had it all prepped before making the announcment?

irbdavid

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
This has been discussed in other threads, but I'll mention it here. Do you think that bandwidth is free? If you know that it's not, why do you expect that Apple will spend the money on the bandwidth for you to download the unlocked version of the song, and not expect you to pay anything for it? Sure they locked and unlocked versions are the same price, but if you already bought a locked version and now want to buy an unlocked version, the bandwidth from both downloads still needs to be paid for.

$.30 is hardly exorbitant. And I doubt it will ever be free to upgrade. It might, possibly, drop to something like $.15, but I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath for that.

Are you suggesting that Apple has to cough up anything like $0.30 for 2.5MB of bandwidth? I think that decimal place needs to move about 4 digits to the right. The point is, if Apple wants to keep the iTunes store competitive with Amazon, it needs to lower the price of the track itself. If they want to keep a loyal customer base, they need to do that _and_ keep existing customers happy.

Now, if only the Amazon store existed in the UK...

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I've never really used iTunes music store for much more than sampling songs that I may like, or finding out the names of songs stuck in my head. I rip all my music in Apple Lossless.... I don't even like the degradation in 256k encoding... I'll wait till they start selling Lossless music at 1.29 :D
I also prefer to actually purchase in lossless format as it seems a rip-off to do otherwise, (by that I mean I purchase the CD's and rip them.)

However, to rip the CD's in Lossless format is a waste of time if you already have the CD. You are not getting any higher quality sound and you are increasing your storage requirements dramatically. A single run-of-the-mill song in Apple Lossless can be 30 Megs or so, the same song in high quality AAC might be less than 5 Megs. :eek:

This means that you have to carry around some gigantic brick of a music player to even have a reasonable selection of music at your fingertips. Needless to say this detracts from the entire concept of a portable digital music player.

It's been proven again and again that the average ear cannot tell the difference between an *mp.3 and the original file and that even audiophiles have a hard time if the bit rate is high enough. With AAC, I don't believe there has ever been anyone who has reliably been able to tell the difference between the original and a 256 AAC copy.

If you are ripping music to Lossless and carrying it around, all you are doing is wasting space on your player. Keep the CD's on the shelf at home for safekeeping and rip into AAC and you can't go wrong. :)

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
Any way to single out the DRM-free tracks?

I'd personally love to show my appreciation by sampling/purchasing more of the DRM-free tracks, but would it be just by hit-or-miss?

Is there any way to filter songs on iTS to just see those DRM-free songs?

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003
Do you hear dog whistles also? I can't tell the difference between 160 and 128 and that is with using noise cancelling in-ear buds. I wonder if your sense of 256 is psychosomatic, that you think you hear a difference.

I'm not calling you crazy, just that I would love to see if there is a research paper out there that determines what the human ear can really differeniate between.

It's kind of like when a new OS X update comes through the pipelines and people say they think Safari is snappier, at least those who aren't joking around now that that has become the catch phrase with "PowerBook G5's coming out this Tuesday".

I agree, unless you hook it up to test equipment, most people can't tell the difference. Now 128 to 256 yes, 256 to loss-less not really

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
What are you all talking about?

I've just checked on the iTunes store. iTunes plus songs are still 99p (and a quick look at the currency converter widget in my dashboard tells me that is $1.96). How is this good value?:confused:

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

It's kind of like when a new OS X update comes through the pipelines and people say they think Safari is snappier, at least those who aren't joking around now that that has become the catch phrase with "PowerBook G5's coming out this Tuesday".

I'm no professional, I have written no papers on the matter, I'm just a regular bloke. And I can hear the differences.
It's like trying to describe a color... impossible.
But, if you really listen, you can hear differences in the high and low frequencies. They sound less crisp (highs) or more muddy (lows) with each level of compression.

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
Anyway, I agree with the above poster... I've given up lossy music too. More and more people are, so I think eventually (probably at least a few years) iTMS will have to respond to the demand for lossless files. Someday. Maybe.

128kb is good enough for most people, and 256kb is going to be good enough for even more people. I doubt Apple has even started to care about lossless at this point.

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
I also prefer to actually purchase in lossless format as it seems a rip-off to do otherwise, (by that I mean I purchase the CD's and rip them.)

However, to rip the CD's in Lossless format is a waste of time if you already have the CD. You are not getting any higher quality sound and you are increasing your storage requirements dramatically. A single run-of-the-mill song in Apple Lossless can be 30 Megs or so, the same song in high quality AAC might be less than 5 Megs. :eek:

This means that you have to carry around some gigantic brick of a music player to even have a reasonable selection of music at your fingertips. Needless to say this detracts from the entire concept of a portable digital music player.

It's been proven again and again that the average ear cannot tell the difference between an *mp.3 and the original file and that even audiophiles have a hard time if the bit rate is high enough. With AAC, I don't believe there has ever been anyone who has reliably been able to tell the difference between the original and a 256 AAC copy.

If you are ripping music to Lossless and carrying it around, all you are doing is wasting space on your player. Keep the CD's on the shelf at home for safekeeping and rip into AAC and you can't go wrong. :)

I will admit that my all-Lossless collection means I don't fit a lot on my iPhone... but as years go by, storage will increase. I am creating a master digital collection. I don't want to deal with CD's, I loathe physical media. I want everything digital and lossless at the press of a button on my Apple Remote.

Honestly though, Lossless on an iPhone just makes you become a smart playlists expert, which isn't so bad really :) Apple could help out by applying the shuffle's on-the-fly transcoding across the board, but god forbid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.