iTunes: Poorly organised songs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gangst, Jun 26, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have 1500 poorly organized songs and was wondering if there was a a plug in or app. which could access the internet and correctly list all my songs using CDDB or something similar, otherwise this is goin to be a very laborous task.

Thanks

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

AFAIK CDDB only works with CDs, there might be a hack out there somewhere.
    I think you're in for some nice iTunes labour. Although iTunes does not make it difficult.

http://www.freedb.org is a nice source of info you'll love to use.

3. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Assuming you've imported everything from CD, you should still be able to get the track names from CDDB. Simply sort everything by date added, select each "batch" of songs that represents a CD and then select "Get CD track names" from the Advanced menu.

The "batch" part is important because you must have the full compliment of tracks from each disk for this to work. It should be relatively easy to do so long as the first track is at the top. My understanding of CDDB is that it bases everything on the song length and count to make up a CD so it is very important to make sure that when you select a batch, it looks the same as if you were selecting it the first time you uploaded your CD, don't select any more nor any less.

Hopefully this'll work. Good luck. :)

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There are a few apps that you can get that will do this. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one I used when I did mine...

This one rings a bell - iEatBrainz

6. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I had to go through that mess when I first got iTunes (for Windoze). I spread the horrid task over a week or so, which didn't drive me insane since I didn't get my iPod until a few months later.

Now I'm terrified I'll have to go through all that again when I buy my iBook. I've been assured that I won't have to, but I'm still paranoid.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

a lot of people who have used MP3s for a long time went through this, we had organized by filename for so long, and then ID3 support came along... I actually tried to ignore it for the first week in iTunes, but eventually buckled and spent the time converting. Ever since then it's near impossible to be disorganized, since iTunes downloads all the info when you insert the CD.