itunes preference

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JW8725, Jul 10, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Is there a way to only show my apple lossless files in the library and not the lossy MP3s? I've tried locking the folder and preventing access to it but that doent work. It still shows. Anyway to update the library after maybe preventing access to my mp3 folder?

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could you make a smart playlist with all but mp3s inside it?

3. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Locking the folder won't do you any good because the songs already are in the library. If you want them permanently out of iTunes, you should move the mp3 out of the iTunes Music folder (if they are there), and then remove them from the iTunes library (to do this fast, you could order the songs by bitrate so you get all the mp3 at the bottom, then you select them all and erase them).

4. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks for the help. I've managed to clear the library and add on only my lossless files. Now next question is I want my mp3s to play separate from my itunes set up. What other mp3 players do you guys recommended and how do I take itunes off from being the default mp3 player?

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Find one mp3 file, bring up the Info window (mark file and use Finder's File menu -> Get Info or just hit cmd-I), then under "Open with:" choose another media player (like Quick Time or whatever) and then click the "Change All"-button. All mp3 files will then be opened by the chosen app. :)