Itunes Preferences disappeared

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Trefalcon, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Trefalcon macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to iTunes 7, and the music wouldnt play.
    My library loaded fine, but no sound. So I moved my 2 plugins to the desktop (G-Force visualizer and OSS 3D), deleted itunes 7 and package receipts and reinstalled. Now it plays fine, but.... Preferences have disappeared.

Under the menu itunes>> there is no preferences option. Cant find them anywhere.

Judging by the number of complaints on the net, there areprobably other problems as well, i just havent explored it much. I'm running 10.4.7

Anyone have an idea on this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does COMMAND-COMMA bring up a preference pane? :)

3. Trefalcon thread starter macrumors newbie

I use sizzling keys, an itunes external controller, and i made apple-comma the fast forward hot key...
    im gonna change it now and see what happens.

4. Trefalcon thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope,
    I uninstalled sizzling keys, and COMMAND-COMMA doesnt bring up preferences.
    Ive looked in Library>Preferences , and an itunes plist file is there, though it's only 28kb which seems small to me...

Also, ive found other problems: iTunes won't recognize my iPod, and when I attach it it gives me a message saying that i need to go to iPod preferences and restore it, somethign I dont want to do since its a 40GB and its loaded, and besides, the iPod preferences cant be found!!

Also, every time i start iTunes it has to load my library.
    Hey Apple, heard of Beta??!!??

thanks for the help, if anyone can think of something...

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The long loading time when you open iTunes is (sadly) normal now. However, the missing Preferences is not. My iTunes PLIST is three times larger than yours. Maybe try quitting iTunes and dragging your PLIST file to the Desktop. When you re-open iTunes, can you access the Preferences? :)

6. Trefalcon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Mad for helping me brainstorm this bizarre event.
    Cant find a precedent for it anywhere on the net...
    I keep thinking it's something very simple.

I downgraded back to 6.0.5 and am content with that, i liked the gui better and besides I never use video. The 2 plugins I use, OSS3D and G-Force, which didnt work with 7, i consider crucial. Also, I like being able to name my library "aaa" so that all I have to do to quickly get back to it is type that in the playlist window.... i have a LOT of playlists, and I am often way down in the list.

Anyway, now that I'm back in 6.0.5, the itunes>>preferences still does not exist.
    I erased all of the plist files in user and root libraries, and that didnt change anything.

I did, however, find a way to get into the preference pane: plug in my ipod and click on the ipod button at bottom right. This brings up preferences and I can navigate as normal through the panels.

Unfortunately, and perhaps more seriously, itunes 7 also appears to have killed my iPod. I had plugged it in after installing iTunes 7 and gotten some strange messages, and finally a crash, and had to remove it in what was apparently mid update. Now today after reinstalling itunes 6 I plugged it in and it wasnt even recognized as an ipod by itunes. I restored it mulitple times with Ipod updater, but all that the ipod can do now is show a little apple. Before, I saw the little folder icon with an address at apple.com/ipod/support . Im going to go there and see what I can do....

I am kind of pissed off. I expect things to be tweaked a little after a major upgrade, but this is pushing it.

g

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For your iPod, try erasing it with Disk Utility and then running the iPod Software Updater again. I'm not sure what to do about your missing preferences though. :eek:

8. Trefalcon thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it's official.
    iTunes 7 killed my iPod.

Never dropped it, no problems whatsoever for 2 years, i plug it in to iTunes 7, my computer crashes in mid update, and now its dead. A Data partition error, apparently. Disk Utility cant fix it. i took it to a licensed Apple repair shop and they say its unrepairable.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wow. iTunes 7 might have been the final straw, but I can't imagine your iPod would have lasted much longer anyway. I find I'm too rough on the hard drive based iPods so I use the Flash based nano now and it seems to put up with me much better. I find it more durable, FWIW. :)