Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I do not use a credit card with iTunes. Instead I top up my account with gift vouchers so that I have a balance in credit. I can forgive Apple (just barely) for not allowing me to use my iTunes balance to pay for photo albums from iPhoto. However, what functionally anencephalic moron programmed iTunes so that I cannot use my credit balance to gift a song to somebody else? I have like £45 of iTunes credit and I want to gift a £0.99 song, but noooo, Apple requires my credit card details or it can't be done. Well, Apple can **** off (to Amazon I go).

And this from Apple – the company that supposedly champions privacy. :mad:

Bad :apple:.

/RANT

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
its dumb. I agree that Apple adopts an "easier" method to pay for things via Store credit: including Apple music/iTunes Match, iCloud storage upgrades, and gifting others, but then selectively managing what can be done with it...

Apple always does that, and i do not know why .... If your gonna offer a convenience, make it so for everyone, not an IN-convonvinience though-out.. and depends what country even worse..

Apple really needs to understand the meaning of that word before they can begin to making it easier.

No company has privacy ..... even companies who reckon they do. It's business after all.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
And this from Apple – the company that supposedly champions privacy. :mad:

Bad :apple:.

/RANT

It is a rant, and a ridiculous one. That credit number is not your secret, private, personal information. It belongs to the credit card company - they shared it with you. They will change it, or invalidate it as it suits them. You'll happily give it to Amazon and whoever else you buy from, but when Apple wants it they are somehow 'bad'.

A.

nb: I am not defending Apple's lack of consistency in the iTunes Store, just commenting on the absurdity of this complaint.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
It is a rant, and a ridiculous one. That credit number is not your secret, private, personal information. It belongs to the credit card company - they shared it with you. They will change it, or invalidate it as it suits them. You'll happily give it to Amazon and whoever else you buy from, but when Apple wants it they are somehow 'bad'.

A.

nb: I am not defending Apple's lack of consistency in the iTunes Store, just commenting on the absurdity of this complaint.

It is possible to use Amazon gift certificates without giving Amazon a credit card. If you do not believe that a customer should be in control of who has their credit card number on file, then please post your credit card details here. :p I have opted not to give Apple my credit card details after there were instances of people being fraudulently charged from the iTunes store. That seems to have died down, but I am the cautious sort, and I have a right to be so.

At least we agree that Apple is being inconsistent. :)

[Nice constellation BTW]

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
If you do not believe that a customer should be in control of who has their credit card number on file

I said no such thing. You equated a credit card number with your personal private information, and then used that false equivalence to chastise Apple for not respecting your 'privacy'. It is and was a ridiculous comparison.

A.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I said no such thing. You equated a credit card number with your personal private information, and then used that false equivalence to chastise Apple for not respecting your 'privacy'. It is and was a ridiculous comparison.

A.

I think you are missing my point, but whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.