itunes problem with media center pc.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lordmac, Nov 4, 2004.

1. lordmac macrumors regular

Hey I have come upon a perplexing problem. I had help my friends mom set up this new pc that she got. This includes setting it up, making sure she had all of those necessary apps that you need to have to keep your pc running smoothly (Spy ware protection, etc). Well any ways she also got an ipod as well. So I put itunes on her computer and showed her how she could import cd's and so on. But for some odd reason when goes to import a cd it works fine right but when takes the cd out to put another one in itunes doesn’t recognize that there is a cd in the drive and it doesn’t show up in itunes unless she restarts the computer. So this is a rather annoying thing to have to restart your machine after each cd you import so I was wondering weather or not there is a way to fix this problem.

-She has an Hp media center pc with windows media center 2004 and it dose have 2 optical drives (but I have tried both) - thanks for any help that is given.
    :)

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Is it just in itunes that the CD doesn't show up, or does it not appear at all in 'my computer'?

Downloaded and installed all the latest updates?

3. lordmac thread starter macrumors regular

no its just itunes

No the other media programs on the computer worked fine and at the time it was the lastest itunes. In other words no i havn't tried it with 4.7 i havn't had the time to go over there since the new update came out.

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

How are you ejecting the CD? Via iTunes or Windows or the button on the drive? If you aren't ejecting it with iTunes, you might want to try that. It sounds as though iTunes isn't recognizing the fact that the first CD has been ejected (obviously).

5. lordmac thread starter macrumors regular

well...........

Well I cant actually remember how I ejected it but I would assume if itunes wasn't recognizing the fact that the cd had been ejected then you would still se an image of the cd in itunes or something which didn't happen.

Even if that is the problem ive personally used itunes since it was first released on the mac and ive also used the pc version on my pc since that was realeased and ive never had to eject the cd through itunes if I didn't want to. So i wouldn't call that obvious.

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I understand. I was just suggesting that you try eject the CD using iTunes, if you hadn't done so before, to see if the behavior changed. I know you shouldn't have to eject it with iTunes.

7. lordmac thread starter macrumors regular

Well i suppose its worth a try

Well i’ll have to try that next time I go over there and sry I was being a little over cynical there. If that was the problem would that mean its the machine or itunes or something completly different. And if so I wonder if it can be corrected :) ;)

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Well, if the problem goes away if you eject the CD with iTunes, wouldn't that be a satisfactory work-around? I've always found it very difficult to discover the real root cause of problems on a Windows PC.

BTW, I thought HP had actually integrated iTunes into their Media PC offering:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/37598.html

Maybe that's part of the problem?

9. lordmac thread starter macrumors regular

That is what I thought when when I first saw that it was an HP.

Ya thats what I thought when i saw it was an hp but i couldn't find itunes anywhere and the default adio progam was Media player. I just figured since it was a windows media pc that they didn't put it on the them out of the box since the media center dose the same sort of thing. Also i wouldn't be surprised if they had the computer for sometime and that the computer was packaged before they started shipping the hp's with itunes ont it.

edit- "oh i just read that article you linked, I knew about the hp - apple thing but i didn't relize that they intagrated itunes in to the media center software, I thought that they were just going to start shipping there computers with itunes installed on them. Perhaps that is the problem as it would make since"