Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
my sister ripped some of my cds for me on her computer and labeled them in itunes, and then sent them to me because i am at college.....however when i open up itunes and try renaming the album, it works fine....but then i go to play the song, and it goes back to what it was originally named as i cant seem to figure out how to fix this....i am VERY anal about my itunes library and how organized it is, and id really like to figure out how to rename these files, otherwise i will probably delete them

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Have you moved the files from the CDs to your harddrive? CD-Rs are write once media. You cannot change the ID tags in files on them!

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
they are my cds, i just asked my sister to burn them to itunes and then send them to me.....so there is no cd now, just files in itunes

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
derajfast said:
they are my cds, i just asked my sister to burn them to itunes and then send them to me.....so there is no cd now, just files in itunes

OK. Are the files writable by you (they should be but you never know).

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
well i dont see why they wouldnt be? if my sister ripped them....how would i find out if they are writeable by me

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
Ownership and permissions: you can read and write.....but i can choose which it is since there is a drop down box.....but all are under read and write

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
This might help

Go to itunes prefs, advanced (,general)
check "Copy files to iTunes... library"

In the advanced menu of iTunes, next to Visualizer
Choose "Consolidate Library..."

Then try renaming

(this just makes absolutely sure all you files are in the same folder)

cheers

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
try:
repair permissions (disk utility)
try rename --> jeej!
delete itunes
download itunes
install itunes
try rename --> jeej!
--> ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.