iTunes problem..

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Falleron, May 26, 2003.

1. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Ok, I have had this probelm with iTunes for some time (from about version 2). I have about 11Gb of music in iTunes. However, if you look at the size of the iTunes music folder (standard location), it is nearer 15Gb!! iTunes is creating hundreds of 3Mb Xml/temp files. This is really getting me annoyed now. I have tried deleting them, but they just re-appear over time. Anybody know how to fix this problem? I cant keep throughing away Gb's of disk space.

2. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I take it that nobody knows how to fix this problem?

3. dynamicd macrumors 6502

Did you download album covers for a lot of your music? I think that all those pictures take up quite a bit of space.

4. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

2 things... he said it's since Version 2. secondly XML temp files have absolutely nothing to with mime attachments to music files.

i have read about this problem before. i have never seen a solution. sorry.

5. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

All of the iLife apps create mass amounts of files that don't seem to be needed. However, that is how you are able to link iTunes to iMovie to iPhoto to iDVD, etc etc.

Your best bet is to use another program without all the extra junk associated with iTunes.

www.versiontracker.com/macosx/ <--- your best bet

Something like this is cool...

http://www.whamb.com/?heading=overview&lang=en

Uses Rendezvous for sharing too. Not sure if it deals with AAC or not.

6. Falleron thread starter macrumors 68000

Falleron

I have no covers in iTunes. These files are labelled temp + dont seem to be deleted. I have manually deleted them before but they just re-appear.

Its annoying more than anything. Since I got my new iPod today, I dont want to use another program.

7. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

I assume you've tried deleting iTunes and it's preferences?

Anothe idea is to tell make a new folder for your tunes, say on your desktop (ie, anywhere that isn't Music) - then make sure iTunes Preferences are looking for the new folder for your Library, and that your prefs are set to copy and organise your music.

Then... go to your Music>iTunes etc folder and drag it into the iTunes window. This will copy and reorganise the tunes into the new Desktop music folder.

Remember to manually delete all the temp files before though - hopefully you'll be rid for good.

It's an idea, Ive not had the problem so can't be sure! Good luck.