Itunes Problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Fabrix2003, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Fabrix2003 macrumors regular

Nov 5, 2003
    Cheshire UK
    Help erm m ymate has imported 5 GB of music compilations in my itunes folder, but they are not being recognised in itunes, only my existing albums are recognised, how do i get all the tracks to be recognised, do i consolidate library?

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!

2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    could you be more specific
    what do u mean its not being recognized

and how did you import it.

normally adding files into folders doesnt do it, you have to pick the import option or open the files then itunes will copy them into the folders itself, ebcause it has its own system of organizing.
  3. Fabrix2003 thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 5, 2003
    Cheshire UK
    well he copied his whole itunes library by going through the finder, locating the itunes folder opening it up selecting all copying and then opening my itunes folder, pasting, took about 6 mins to do but i tunes gives a folder for each artist and each song, istead of the compilation name, it would take a long time going through each one importing it into i tunes for 500 albums, must be an easier way to bring these in. Because a compilation has many artists on and instead of it naming a file for the compilation, it made a file for each artist, been told this is normal, but when opening the artist up it reveals what compilation as a file then what song inside that file, it would take far too long to find out what song its from, loacting each artist from each compilation.
  4. TBR macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2004
    Blackpool - England

Sorry to say but your posts rambles on and makes it a bit difficult to understand what the problem is.

It sounds like you have a number of albums already on your HD but as Mp3's but not in iTunes and you would like to play them with iTunes.

It's simply a case of selecting all of the folders of mp3's that you ant to import and drag-n-drop them into the library playlist, iTunes will then sort them all out and organise them for you.

Make sure that in you prefferences under advanced you have

Keep iTunes Music Folder organised - ticked

Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to libray - ticked as well.

Once iTunes has finished doing it's stuff, (and it might take a while) you will have a copy of all the original mp3's neatly organised in the iTunes music folder and playable in iTunes.

You can delete the original files if you wish at this point.

Hope this has been some help.