'iTunes Producer 2.6' Appears in OS X Software Update

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several readers have noticed the appearance of 'iTunes Producer 2.6' in their OS X Software Update. iTunes Producer is Apple's submission tool for music (and books) to the Apple iTunes Store.
    The appearance has generated some confusion amongst users who are unfamiliar with the software, suggesting it may have been inadvertently pushed to unintended users via Apple's OS X Software Update mechanism.

iTunes Producer is also the publishing software for iBooks Author books, so the update may be detecting users who have simply installed iBooks Author as well. When publishing books from iBooks Author, users are required to register for an iTunes Connect account in order to download the iTunes Producer software.

Article Link: 'iTunes Producer 2.6' Appears in OS X Software Update

2. macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

I have installed this via Software Update, but it comes back again when SU is re-run. Installed it 3 times so far, but SU still finds it and wants to install it again. Close SU, then re-open it to check again.

QUOTE:
    iTunes Producer is also the publishing software for iBooks Author books, so the update may be detecting users who have simply installed iBooks Author as well.

Why, in that case, is it pushed via SU rather than the App Store as iBooks Author is?

Also, I've got this update on a Mac that is not running iBooks Author.

3. macrumors regular

I have iBooks author installed, but this isn't available when I go to software update.

4. macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I do not have iBooks Author installed but I still get iTunes Producer showing up in my software update, so I don't think the above is true - at least in my case.

5. macrumors regular

Same for me. In fact, I'm running 10.6.8, so I can't even install iBooks Author, which is Lion-only. But iTunes Producer 2.6 is showing up for me in software update.

6. macrumors newbie

I just happened to be making a new image from scratch, and had only installed a standard install of 10.7.3 when this popped up in SU.

7. macrumors newbie

By the looks of it, it's also the new Application Loader. This is what I see when I log in with my account...

[​IMG]

I'm guessing that they're rolling everything into the one package.

I'd also suggest that this isn't meant for public consumption just yet.

8. macrumors regular

Wont even let me log into it. Says it doesn't recognise my apple id

9. macrumors 6502

10. macrumors 603

quagmire

It shows up on my parents 27" iMac and Safari 5.1.4 showed up twice( I haven't installed in on the iMac as it broke a few things on my MBP).

Attached Files:

11. macrumors regular

It is most certainly a big balls-up from Apple. If it was seeded to devs only or people with connect accounts or whatever i'd understand, but as far as Apple are concerned I'm just a regular consumer and what have no use for such an app. My advice to the average user? Don't install.

12. macrumors member

Installed it and SU still wants me to install it again. Should be a bug on Apple's server. Now the question is how do I uninstall this thing?

13. macrumors regular

Shouldn't have installed it in the first place. Only way to uninstall if it's not located in your Applications folder would likely be to restore from a backup.

Sounds like the update centre is having issues atm so my advice would be to not install updates at all until the issue is resolved.

14. macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

For me, iTunes Producer is installed in the Applications folder but SU still wants to keep on reinstalling it ad infinitum.

15. Guest

Sky Blue

Wow, the icon is mid-00's Apple.

16. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Showing up for me. I have Xcode installed but not iBooks Author.

This would never happen in Steve's day /jk

17. macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

Installed it then deleted it

Thought it was an iTunes update, so I dragged it into the trash. Hopefully, it deletes it completely? :confused:

18. SkippyThorson, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I was all ready to jump on here and ask, or submit something to Arn via Messages, but of course the folks on here were quicker than myself. :p I always appreciate how on-the-ball the team is.

Anyhow, I installed it after reading about it here. I have a book going in iBooks Author that, when finished, I'd like submitted, obviously. Any tool that makes this easier is a welcome addition. It installed just fine, yet Software Update does try to look for and install it again, as some here have mentioned. Also to note, it really doesn't look like it was ready for primetime, but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I can't see any negative impact if you submit content to any of the App Stores. The only downside as far as I can tell is for users who are trying to save precious space on a MacBook Air or a smaller SSD. It's not a huge program by any means, so it doesn't bother me.

My only question regarding it is why such a Utility (not a full-featured program, really) would go into the general Applications folder and not in Applications -> Utilities, much like QuickTime 7 that got pushed there when the new version came out.

I have one thought too; I really feel like I've seen that orange ball in the icon somewhere before. I can't put my finger on it.

-----

ghwis.wordpress.com (which I've never heard of; Google-searched it) wrote a long article with tons of screenshots, info, and a walkthrough back in 2007.

Looks like iTunes Producer has been around a while; I at least found version 1.6 built in to iTunes. Perhaps this new version just divides this out of iTunes and makes Producer its own application; ready to suit any Apple Store; whether it be iOS Apps, iTunes, Mac Apps, iBooks, etc.

19. macrumors newbie

Restoring from TM backup now, don't want see this in my fresh installed and tuned system.

20. macrumors 6502

Graig

About one hour ago it showed up in Software Update, I did not install it, now when checking again it DOES NOT SHOW UP in Software Update.

21. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

do people think that iTunes, Software Update and the Mac App Store will ever be the same app? Aren't Software Update + The Mac App Store getting combined in mountain lion?

22. macrumors 65816

Not showing up for me either, I guess they fixed the problem.

23. macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

not showing up for me...

24. macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

New to Macs

Idiot post. It I did instal it and realized it was. It an iTunes update then I looked in Applications folder and dragged said app to trash. Will that wipe out the app completely ?

25. macrumors regular

I also installed this. I do not have Xcode installed or the iBook thing.