Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to reports, Apple finally released their "iTunes Producer" tool to independent record labels back in Mid-November.

This Apple tool was released to "Indie" record labels who had signed a contract with Apple in order to allow them to encode and transmit their music to Apple for inclusion into the iTunes Music Store. Apple initially hinted at this tool during their meeting with Indie labels back in June.

After some delays, the tool finally made its way into the hands of the Indie labels, but based on one report, the submission process is less-than-ideal. Reportedly, the tool allows little room for error and offers no method to correct submitted information. Beyond this, encoding and transmission of albums can take an excessive amount of time, with little feedback from Apple. As a result, there may be ongoing delays with representation of smaller indie labels on the iTunes Music Store.

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
Thursday/Thrice

Maybe this explains the title errors with the Live from the Apple Store Thursday/Thrice album. Great album, but they screwed up the track names.

Sabenth

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2003
UK
its like anything new theres gona be problems. This will get sorted out if apple really wants the indies..

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I really hope they allow Indie to be umm Independent.

Let they have some freedom... Sumbit the Music then become like the Admin for your band, allow you to change around the titles of the songs and stuff. :p

rotorblade

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Huh?

"The tool allows little room for error."

Isn't that the idea.

"The encoding process can take an excessive amount of time."

I'm not saying this new indie tool is perfect and may not have it's flaws, but I find it hard to believe that this new tool is that much more complicated than whatever has been used with the few hundred thousand songs that are available up to this point.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Huh?

Originally posted by rotorblade
"The tool allows little room for error."

Isn't that the idea.

"The encoding process can take an excessive amount of time."

I'm not saying this new indie tool is perfect and may not have it's flaws, but I find it hard to believe that this new tool is that much more complicated than whatever has been used with the few hundred thousand songs that are available up to this point.

Which leads to an interesting question: did Apple encode all the music from the big 5? If not, what software did they use? Didn't Apple say that the indies were going to be given equal treatment?

mclosers

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
More indies

Fat Wrekchords is one of the indie punk labels out there yet is still not on iTunes. They have bands such as NoFx and others. I think that is a real travasty. People that like those types of bands love music in general. and of the people i know that like punk music 100% of them own iPods (me included). Check out what Chuck from A Simple plan has to say about hte iTunes Music Store and online downloading in general.http://www.vttv.vt.edu/stupid/chuck.mov

daku

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2003
Alternative to iTunes Producer

When I was at CMJ this year I came across this companies booth: http://www.iodalliance.com/.

From their mission statement:
ODA provides comprehensive services for independent artists, record labels, and publishers in the digital music world, to:

* create collective bargaining leverage to counter the advantages currently enjoyed by major labels and publishers within digital music outlets

* provide first-class media encoding services and metadata management tools

* aggregate and administer royalty payments and provide reporting tools for precise tracking of digital releases

* promote the presence of independent music online and assist with digital retail marketing

* provide one-stop shopping for digital music services to license valuable indie music

No I don't work for them. :)

mclosers

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
MxPx

Here is an interview with MxPx about the iTunes Music store. "They like it... What's a buck... you drop a buck on a cup of coffee."
BTW their newest cd "Before Everything and After" is amazing
Get it on the itunes music storeInterview
and no I don't work for MxPx
Let me know by email if you want to see more interview with bands about the iTunes music store. stupid@vt.edu thanks

jero

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2003
itunes needs an indie section. like, oh say...well, just peep my sig.

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
Re: More indies

Originally posted by mclosers
Fat Wrekchords is one of the indie punk labels out there yet is still not on iTunes. They have bands such as NoFx and others. I think that is a real travasty. People that like those types of bands love music in general. and of the people i know that like punk music 100% of them own iPods (me included). Check out what Chuck from A Simple plan has to say about hte iTunes Music Store and online downloading in general.http://www.vttv.vt.edu/stupid/chuck.mov

Wait a second. When did Simple Plan become punk? No seriously. When?

kd0tc0m

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2005
DC
tny said:
Which leads to an interesting question: did Apple encode all the music from the big 5? If not, what software did they use? Didn't Apple say that the indies were going to be given equal treatment?

They did say that the Indies would get the same treatment. It's obvious things haven't been as smooth as they thought would happen.

I would think Apple used their own software... they had to create iTunes for themselves, why trust anyone else to build this new component?

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
kd0tc0m said:
They did say that the Indies would get the same treatment. It's obvious things haven't been as smooth as they thought would happen.

I would think Apple used their own software... they had to create iTunes for themselves, why trust anyone else to build this new component?

They had to create the iTunes Music Store themselves, but iTunes was built on an existing mp3 player programme that they purchased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.