Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Does anyone know why this is happening. I'm inclined to notch up another one for bad QC..

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Because there is actually a second 10.1.1 release, and it's only pushed via iTunes. The first one was OTA.

Yeah, it makes no sense to me either. I worked in IT for 18 years, and we never did a release without incrementing the version.

Reactions: aristobrat

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does anyone know why this is happening. I'm inclined to notch up another one for bad QC..
Or just not keeping up with the news.
[doublepost=1480814642][/doublepost]
Because there is actually a second 10.1.1 release, and it's only pushed via iTunes. The first one was OTA.

Yeah, it makes no sense to me either. I worked in IT for 18 years, and we never did a release without incrementing the version.
Most likely it's an installer type of fix/update of some sort, meaning it's mainly for those who haven't updated yet to 10.1.1 and not really for those who already have.

Reactions: Lappen71

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Most likely it's an installer type of fix/update of some sort, meaning it's mainly for those who haven't updated yet to 10.1.1 and not really for those who already have.

Then iTunes should be smart enough to not prompt people who already have 10.1.1 on their device. I really get the feeling that the A-team in Cupertino has been on vacation since about mid-September.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Then iTunes should be smart enough to not prompt people who already have 10.1.1 on their device. I really get the feeling that the A-team in Cupertino has been on vacation since about mid-September.
Potentially the idea there might be that someone with an initial bad 10.1.1 install would be connecting to fix things with iTunes and it would prompt them to install the corrected/updated version.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So it is a different version? Supposedly better?

It was pushed out to fix possible installation problems. But because you are already on 10.1.1 you don't need it because it has already been installed. Now if you want to update for the hell of it, you can, but that is why there is no OTA available, because you are already up to date.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
It was pushed out to fix possible installation problems. But because you are already on 10.1.1 you don't need it because it has already been installed. Now if you want to update for the hell of it, you can, but that is why there is no OTA available, because you are already up to date.

Ive been prompted to do this on every version of iOS 10 and some of the last of iOS 9. I think this is a bug and not specific to any one build

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ive been prompted to do this on every version of iOS 10 and some of the last of iOS 9. I think this is a bug and not specific to any one build
Promoted to install the same version that you already have? This kind of an installer update happened I think once before in the last year or two prior to this one, but not really more than that, and certainly not with every version.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Promoted to install the same version that you already have? This kind of an installer update happened I think once before in the last year or two prior to this one, but not really more than that, and certainly not with every version.

Thanks for letting me know what's happened on my computer

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for letting me know what's happened on my computer
Not sure where anything was said about your computer on my part. But it seems like you bring up a salient point, that if you have been seeing what you are describing, perhaps it could very well be some issue related to your computer.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Not sure where anything was said about your computer on my part. But it seems like you bring up a salient point, that if you have been seeing what you are describing, perhaps it could very well be some issue related to your computer.

I always have all the latest software and it's been over a year since this hasn't happened for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.