iTunes question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by betsbillabong, Jul 3, 2005.

1. betsbillabong macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2004
    I've spent the last week cleaning up my completely disorganized iTunes library and digitizing all of my CDs. There are quite a few songs that I actually owned on CD but had downloaded for convenience sake to make a playlist. So of course I've been deleting the old mp3s once I've digitized the original to AAC 192.

I became concerned when I realized that if I deleted a song in iTunes it sort of just silently and quickly deleted it from any of its playlists - rather than keeping something there that said the file was missing (if you know what I mean). This concerns me because many of the songs I've imported that are duplicates do not have identical tags. I have dozens of playlists... there must be a better way than going through all of my playlists manually each time I want to delete a song.

Anyone? Am I missing something basic? I feel it's hard to articulate what I mean, so let me know if you understand and/or have a solution. I guess what I'd love to do is choose a song and instantly see if it's used in a playlist.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. You trash a song and it disappears from the playlists. This makes sense since the song isn't there anymore. I'd hate to have to go back through all my playlists and manually delete the non-working songs.

Are you after a way of importing a song with an identical name and having it replace the now redundant track in your playlists?
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    If you control-click on a song title, there should be a "playlists" menu in there that will list them. Is that what you were looking for?

Also, if you are inside a playlist and want to go to its main library entry in order to delete it for real (rather than simply remove it from that playlist), you can option-click on the arrow to the right of the song title (or artist, or whater).
  4. betsbillabong thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2004
    Thank you!!!

Meowbot, you're the best. Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. mad jew, it's not only when I import something identical but differently tagged, but also if I just thought about deleting a song I didn't listen to so much anymore, forgetting that I put it on that great playlist from two years ago. What can I say, I'm from the era of mixed tapes. I like having a permanent record of my mixes. I don't always just want to shuffle.

The control-click thing is perfect. Now I can figure it out at a glance. Thanks.