iTunes question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trev, Feb 7, 2007.

1. trev macrumors 6502

Just wondering how I can import .avi (divx) files into the iTunes movie libary... just so I can use front row to play videos. Thanks!

2. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

to convert my avi's to *insert file extention here* so it then can be imported into iTunes?

3. Queso macrumors G4

I don't think it imports them, but you can play AVI files in Front Row Movies using Perian

4. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, so perian is like a codec? and isquit is..... ?

5. Queso macrumors G4

No, Perian is a Quicktime extension that allows it to play various codecs, including AVI. Since it also allows you to convert AVI files to DV format in iMovie, it may be exactly what you are looking for.

I think iSquint is more useful for video iPods than for Front Row, but not having a video iPod I can't confirm that.

6. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, I'm not having trouble playing the avi's... I'm basically looking to add my avi's to my iTunes libary simply to have everything organized in one program... sorry, should have mentioned that eairler.

7. Queso macrumors G4

But that's the thing with the way QuickTime works. If you can play a file you can normally manipulate it in programs built on the QuickTime framework. Since iTunes is built on a mix of Quicktime and Webkit, it's definitely worth a try.

8. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

well I have played it in quicktime.. plays just fine... but still not showing up in iTunes. or am I hearing you wrong?

9. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

10. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

11. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

12. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

if you just want to play the avis in front row, just put them in your Movies folder. That folder is accessible in Front Row, and you don't need to convert anything.