iTunes / Quicktime TV show questions (especially concerning 24)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by appledu, Jan 15, 2007.

1. appledu macrumors member

appledu

Hello all,

I'm extremely tempted in using the iTunes store as my main source of TV, however, I have some questions:

- How come 24 - Day 6 hasn't been added yet? How long do Fox usually take?
    - Why is 24 more expensive than other shows?
    - Why is it not widescreen? :eek: :eek: :eek: Will Day 6 be, and if not, is there a way to change it (unlikely, I know)?
    - Watching TV shows is very jerky on my Dell in iTunes (no comments please :p ), but are OK in Quicktime. However, QT isn't fullscreen! :mad: , Is there a way I can make it without buying QT Pro? Otherwise, can I play them in something like VLC?
    - Will QT Pro add black borders around widescreen shows (like it should, and QT player doesn't seem to)?

Thanks,

appledu

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Hello,

I don't know about 24, but I can answer your more technical questions. ;)

There is no way to get QuickTime into fullscreen mode without a hack. You will not be able to play the video back in VLC, because it is DRM'd.

QuickTime Pro will not add black borders to widescreen shows, unless you're in fullscreen mode and you don't have a 16:9 monitor. The only reason 4:3 TVs show black borders is because there is nothing else to fill the rest of the screen space with.

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Prison Break is widescreen, I see no reason why 24 wouldn't be. However, I hook up my iPod to my TV to watch, so maybe that is why.

The reason 24 costs more is because normal tv season orders is 22 episodes. There are 24 for 24. iTunes never releases the show for download until 24 hours after is has aired so my guess is that it will show up sometime Wednesday evening...:)

4. appledu thread starter macrumors member

appledu

Well, I'm currently on a 4:3 Dell, so that's why I'm interested in black borders. :rolleyes:

How come Desperate Housewives already have the Sunday show on iTunes, and not 24?
    I know the former is ABC and the latter Fox, but I can't see why it would take so long...

Are you sure it wouldn't appear before Wednesday evening? (I'm guessing West Coast time as well?), Shouldn't it be more so Tuesday evening, if there's a 24h delay?

Does anyone know how long it takes NBC to upload their shows, after the TV broadcast?

Thanks,

appledu

5. appledu thread starter macrumors member

appledu

Well iTunes have uploaded the first 4 episodes, and it's widescreen, which is a relief.
    They also uploaded Monday's episodes, so maybe it doesn't take 24 hours after all.

Is there anyway that I could get black borders on my PC (4:3 screen)?

Has anyone ever tried Amazon Unbox? What's the quality like compared to iTunes?

Thanks,

appledu