itunes quitting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Grakkle, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

Has anyone experienced frequent itunes 'unexpected quitting' problems? It seems like every other time I try to play a CD or mp4 itunes crashes.

This also happens frequently when attempting to listen to the preview samples in the itunes store.

itunes has also caused one complete system freeze in my 4 week old macbook (with 1 gig RAM, too!)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Strange. It's been fine for me. Try starting a new user account in System Preferences and see if iTunes behaves itself in there. :)

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I got this a couple of days after upgrading to 7.0.1. Just restarted the MacBook and hasn't had the problem since.

4. Mackey macrumors newbie

Constant crashing in iTunes 7 and 7.0.1

Friday, iTunes on my 20" iMac, 2 GB RAM started crashing playing some songs but not others. Clicking a "wrong" song produces a spinning beach ball for 5 to 20 minutes before the program quits. All of my music is in the same place and all of it continues to play just fine from other Macs.

I updated to 10.4.8 and iTunes 7.0.1 and it made no difference. Any ideas?

Chris

5. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

My idea is that Apple produced a lemon in iTunes7! :(

6. Aldyn macrumors member

at first i thought i was playing a corrupt song file, but now my itunes 7.1 will sometimes play a couple songs (or only get through half of one) and then unexpectedly close. it's becoming veryyyyy annoying lately.

i've had 7.1 for a few days but it just started acting up last night.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think there has to be some other variable that we're not seeing. There are a good handful of people like you who experienced problems with iTunes 7 and then tons of people like MJ and me who have not had any problems at all with it. FWIW I have it on my iBook G4 and my iMac G5 and they're both dandy.

I do have a couple of question / suggestions, though.

Are you using a standard or admin user account? Can you try re-installing the latest Quicktime? If you have both kinds of accounts, do it from the admin account to be on the safe side.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

9. bneff macrumors newbie

My iTunes quits now too. Somedays it does and somedays it doesn't. But it drives me nuts when it does, it can be as bad as every song. I tried reinstalling both iTunes and quicktime and it doesn't help.

Oh, I have a blackbook, 1gig ram

10. dana.lee macrumors newbie

dana.lee

same problem.

i fixed it by downgrading to iTunes 6 (oldapps.com).

itunes 7 is no good anyway :/

11. Aldyn macrumors member

my flash player wouldnt play any sound, so i read a thread at mr and went into garage band and hit a few notes, now the flash player plays sound, and coincidently my itunes stopped quitting now.

12. Chubypig macrumors 6502

oddly, this seems to have worked for me too. I was about to post about the quitting problem and then i tried your solution and it actually worked. thanks.

13. jordansampson macrumors member

its been happing to me as well. every 4 or 5 songs. it just stops.

14. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

iTunes quits frequently for no reason.

I started having this problem a few days ago. I have used iTunes 7 since it was introduced and now after one song iTunes sees fit to shut down. I have tried to remove the iTunes library file as some suggested with no success. I have a G5 with iT 7 and it works fine. I am continuing to try stuff. Maybe a prefs file? Permissions?

Just trashed all my iTunes prefs in the library along with the iTunes file in the iTunes music folder and that seemed to do the trick. I am trying to crash iTunes now after removing those files. So far no crashes.

15. jordansampson macrumors member

... hopefull it works for me as well. it did fix another sound issue i was having