itunes radio - are you listening?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sourcemonkey, May 17, 2005.

1. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2005
    One step forward, two steps back.
    who else is listening to '[web]radio' through itunes? i seem to be almost permanently tuned to 'limbik frequencies' these days. anyone?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I was addicted for a while there but then I woke up and realised I've got 10,000 perfectly good tracks in my library, some of which have never been listened to. So now my new task is to get these under my belt, then I might go back to the radio.
  3. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2005
    One step forward, two steps back.
    yeah, i'm suffering from a lack of new blood in my library and radio is giving me an idea of what some new bands/artists are doing. (mainly slower electronic music). i remember australia having some great radio stations... PBS in melbourne had some great shows for example.
  4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Never liked iTunes radio (or the music store) - I keep both hidden.
  5. Davito macrumors member

Jun 16, 2004
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Yes. I love listening to some jazz radio-streams while working on the computer :)

The stations that I can recieve with the real radio here in Switzerland all have the same mainstream-music, so the iTunes channels are a welcome change.
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I forget it's there and then when I remember start listening to lots of it. Then, like madjew, I recall that I have several thousand tracks which I haven't heard for a while and forget about it again.

I used to like 'Groove Salad'
  7. garybUK Guest

Jun 3, 2002
  8. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    #8's deep house station. Used to be on in my room ~5 hours a day.

Still listen quite a bit, but atm, I tend to listen more to tracks in my library. Downloading a lot these days.

9. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    I think like most here, I forget it's there. It has some good stuff on it, but needs to have a lot more too. Most of the stations are US based and I would like to hear more of the stations from other countries on there too. Haven't checked back in a while, but I would much prefer to listen to the BBC radio stations through iTunes than through their website.
  10. icsedge1 macrumors member

May 29, 2003
    40º 47.337 N/73º 56.937 W 121.0 ft.
    Club 977...all 80s, all the time. or the various classic rock stations. sometimes classical...jazz...blues. yes, i like iTunes radio.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    I created a smart playlist that I called 'Unplayed' and put the criteria as any song with a play count of zero. After a couple of weeks I had listened to everything once at least.

That list still comes in handy for tracking any new stuff I've added but forgotten about.

iTunes radio? I stopped listening when they had to take KPIG live off the list.
  12. Riot_Mac macrumors regular

Nov 3, 2003
    i listen to 97X, with out a doubt the best rock alt/modern rock radio station ever.
  13. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

Aug 6, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    I listened to Club 977 for a long while when I was working overseas, and Virgin Radio 1215 was good for those tastes of home.

I am a big fan of Internet Radio, being from the UK but working all over the world, it's good to be able to listen to sounds from home. BBC Radio (moved from R1 to R2 as I'm getting an old fart now), Metro Radio 97.1 for Night Owls and the best Newcastle footy commentary. I just hope that The Fox (melbourne, AU) get their act together for broadcasting live, and I will be very happy.

An old radio station I used to listen to was but it went the way of the dodo :(
  14. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

May 12, 2005
    :) The jazz, classical, electronica, and especially Virgin Radio are all insanly great.
  15. seanet macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2005

Indie Pop Rocks is great stuff and a lot of other streams are great too. Basically one of the guy who initially developed streaming technology in the early 90s has a massive server farm in his garage. Cool grass-roots project. Check it out!

Later Guys, Sean
  16. snowdog macrumors member

Jan 21, 2004
    Visby, Sweden
    Is that stream a bit buggy?
    The 128 kbit stream is often downgraded to 32 kbit when I try to listen.

Haven't seen anyone mentioning Radio Paradise in this thread.
    They have a very good selection of old rock classics and stuff that you've never heard before.
    A very nice feedback system as well at their site,
  17. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think the selection on iTunes radio could be a lot better. Is there a way to add more stations?

BTW, for indie music lovers out there, check out

Its based in Los Angeles and it sounds like the KROQ of the 80's but even better....
  18. garybUK Guest

Jun 3, 2002
    I normally get uninterrupted 128kbps ... the links on their website are not as good as the itunes stream. depends on the time of day / usage i suppose.
  19. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2005
    I also think the radio selection in iTunes is too limited. The stations listed there often play the same music over and over and over for a long time, so, it gets boring fast. I wish there was a way to add more variety.
  20. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    I listen to kexp 90.3 (Seattle based) since I can't listen to it 90 miles away in Bellingham, Wa. At least here in B'ham I can listen to CBC Radio 3 on Canadian Radio Saturday evenings and very early Monday mornings.
  21. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I recently spent a week in a hotel in Chicago and was running through some of the stations and found a great one for me anyway.

Under iTunes sources>radio>Talk/Spokin Word>serious comedy radio . It is pretty clean family friendly comic clips that were putting me in stiches. Now I'm in my mid 40's and live in the south, I appreciate self depricating redneck humor, but Cheech&Chong too.
  22. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    I'm home for the summer, and have been spending more time on my parent's PC than my iBook (just for conveniance sake). Without my music library handy, I have been hooked on the radio, namely Y100.

Anyone from Eastern PA/Jersey probably remembers it when it was on FM until this past February. Idiotic corporation killed it (despite 500,000 regular listeners) because they felt they could make more money with a crappy rap station. Fortunatly, some of the DJs are broadcasting from home, etc. and it is living on through the net, as they fight to get it back on the air. If your into modern rock/alternative, I really suggest checking it of the best stations I've ever heard on FM, and easily the best on the web, IMO.
  23. treysmay macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2005
    toronto, ontario, canada
    oh yeah

I have my itunes on all the time man.
    i just shuffle my library or listen to
    -somaFM presents: Indie pop rocks
    -KINK FM
    -KCRW music
    alot of my friends forget the radio is even in itunes, but i love it :D
  24. wdschrank macrumors member

May 19, 2005
    Think the radio feature is a great addition. I think they had a Holidays channel in December, right? Thought that was pretty cool.
  25. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2006
    San Diego, CA

I use the Radio function of iTunes a lot at work where I don't really have any music in the library. I have tons of post-it notes with new bands scribbled down to go download when I get home (where I have too much music).

Favorite station? KPRI in the Alt/Modern Rock section. The great part is that since it is local station I can listen to it on the drive home as well.