iTunes Random Order - Cool Coincidence?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cooknn, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I fired up iTunes tonight with Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden. I almost always play my library with 'Random' so I thought it was cool when the second song was Audioslave's What You Are. Imagine my surprise when the third song of the evening was Take The Power Back by Rage Against The Machine :eek: ...my library is not loaded with any of those bands.

Does iTunes have a method to its random selection algorithm?

2. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I don't think i see the pattern here...

But yeah, i've certainly noticed frequent patterns in my itunes randomizer. Usually it just completely avoids certain bands, and often plays only what i've been listening to recently.

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I've always been curious about this also. Back when I had only a shuffle I could swear that I was hearing certain songs more often then others. One night I was bored so I exported the itunes data into excel and figured out the average number of plays per day (taking into account how long the song had been in my library). Since I always have the shuffle set to shuffle, never select songs individually, and limited my itunes library to a number of songs that would entirelly fit on the shuffle I assumed that they should all be about equal. While about 60% of them were played about as often, there was still a sizable number that were played more frequently then the rest. I don't know whats going on. And I still think that I'm going crazy... it turns out the songs I thought I was hearing more often were actually playing at a relatively regular frequency. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with this on my new 5G :) Oh the things we have to put up with...

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That's what you would expect to see with randomness - you wouldn't be able to play your shuffle enough times in your life to see them even out.

If all songs were played the same number of times after a few days (say 10 times each) that's a sign that the algorithm is not random.

6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I remember reading an article not too long ago about how higher rated songs and songs with a higher play count have a slightly higher chance of being played.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The singer from Soundgarden (Chris Cornell-- is that how you spell his name?) ended working together with the band members of RATM (Rage Against the Machine-- minus their original singer) to form a new group called Audioslave.

That's why it's eerily cool that the OP's iTunes played one song from each of the intertwined bands.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

9. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

How did I not put that together! :)

10. jaytschneider macrumors newbie

itunes synchronicity

So I have also wondered about whether iTunes shuffle was truly random. A few months ago I was reading a text message from my friend Caroline while in the background I had iTunes running. As I was reading the message, Sweet Caroline from Neil Diamond followed by Caroline from The Beach Boys was played. I want to chalk it up as pure synchronicity, but I wouldn't put it past the Apple engineers to have created algorithms that took into account the users environment variables when generating the random playlist when in shuffle mode.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

This is a joke right?