iTunes Reaches 14 Percent of Active Internet Universe, Skyro...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 19, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
    Link: iTunes Reaches 14 Percent of Active Internet Universe, Skyrocketing 241 Percent Year-Over-Year
    Description:: NEW YORK, Jan. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Nielsen//NetRatings, a global leader in
    Internet media and market research, today announced that traffic to Apple's
    iTunes Web site and use of the iTunes application has skyrocketed 241 percent
    over the past year, from 6.1 million unique visitors in December 2004 to 20.7
    million in December 2005, reaching nearly 14 percent of the active Internet
    population.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors regular

firsttube

that's not too shabby, considering itunes has only been out for what, 5 or 6 years?

3. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And when you consider that the Windows version has only been out for 2 1/3 ... :)

4. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Not really sure what this means - what is "14% of the active Internet population"? 20.7 million? That would put the entire such population at roughly 145 million. Is that a US only figure?

5. macrumors 6502a

fixyourthinking

Also, when you consider that Apple has 83% of the digital downloaded music share AND that Sat Radio has now been out TEN years and has only managed 6 million subscribers worldwide with about 4.5 million daily avid listeners.

I think that in and of itself speaks for the value of ownership of music - rather than subscription ...

6. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

I'm not overly surprised considering you can's download QuickTime without iTunes anymore. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html
    OK its back. Good. It doesn't change the fact that 90% of the users in our office who need to download quicktime and can't find the standalone player and end up installing iTunes. Frankly the link on the right on Apple's site doesn't exactly go out of their way to announce it. But it’s a lot better then summer 2005. It was nowhere to be seen at that time. I ended up exploding the itunes installer archive to nab the Quicktime installer out of it.

9. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, I get railed by my Windows friends to find them a Quicktime installer without iTunes. But, yeah 99% of the users don't know about the QT Standalone installer.

10. macrumors 65816

autrefois

Pretty impressive numbers. I wonder what the numbers will be a year from now, not to mention it would be interesting to know what the numbers are like in other countries.

I wonder why they looked specifically at what alcohol iTunes users perfer. Should we expect to see Mike's Hard iTunes Cider coming out soon? :)

One error in the article: "data indicates." Gasp! The word "data" is plural...

11. macrumors regular

I think the article gets it kind of wrong. I think it's maybe 14% traffic. For example, they say BitTorrent based traffic accounts for a HUGE amount data being exchanged.