iTunes really sucks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaptainHaddock, Jul 14, 2004.

1. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Sorry for the inflamatory post subject, but it's true. I just got my 20" iMac (awesome computer), and I can't use iTunes. 50% of the time it crashes on startup. When it does run, I can't import more than one album of mp3s. After that, import options are greyed out. I can't run iTunes for more than 5 minutes without it crashing 100% of the time anyway.

Has anyone else had or solved these problems? Is there a better program I should use? (preferrably one that can also play OGG files)

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

reinstall it itunes is great, the way your imac installed it was not

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Whoa... never had any problems like that with iTunes.... On any Mac.

If you want to be able to play Ogg Vorbis files in iTunes, then check this out.

But if you have any problems with iTunes, try to trash the prefs. It should work.. it is the best!

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Yeah reinstall. I have been running iTunes none-stop for a couple of weeks (since I never shut down the system) and it has been rock solid. As for the OGG, there is a plugin somewhere (don't have time to look for it) that allows iTunes to play ogg. But be warned, if you plan on using a portable MP3 player, only a very few can play OGG.

5. unixkid macrumors member

hummm

ur the first... theres somthing realy wrong with ur install ur probably on a old version of itunes too. iTunes shouldn't crash. Goto the apple store and show them they should fix it NP. BTW why did u get an iMac now? theres gunna be new ones soon...

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Just to reinforce what other members have said, I have never had any troubles with iTunes. I've been using it since its initial release.

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Same as the others, no issues here. I have a 20" iMac, so it is not the computer model either... try downloading a new installer. As for better players, I don't think one exists.

8. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Hit your iMac with a hammer.

If that doesn't fix it, try reinstalling as others have suggested.

Golly, talk about hitting the panic button a little prematurely... :eek:

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Don't forget to repair permissions. I had that problem once, and it took just one run throught the permission repair process and it was fixed.

TEG

10. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

iTunes for Windows is even solid (until the OS itself crashes...)

Please comment after you reinstall, and tell us how you were wrong :D

11. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

iRiver players can play Vorbis (The most common OGG format), and thats all that matters. Because iRiver makes the best players. And iPod sucks in comparison to ANY iRiver player.

You do all know that the only good thing about the iPod is it's ease of use? It's got the worst features set in comparison to the other brands (No direct Line in, no Line-out, no internal voice recorder, remote dosen't have an LCD screen/full set of controls, can't copy music on as a USB mass storage drive, battery-life sucks, etc...)

12. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Don't discount ease of use. When you are looking for one song out of 5-10,000 that can be a huge deal. For some anyway. If you need all the other features of the iRiver than hurray for you. Get what works, not what is most popular. That's why I use a Mac.

13. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Do other players have a line-out in addition to the headphone jack?

/iPod broke my mp3 virginity.

14. CaptainHaddock thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm still learning my way around the Mac, and everything else about it totally rocks. I've got iTunes 4.6, and I think it was even updated when I booted for the first time. I don't really want to reinstall something so integrated quite yet, and anyway, I thought reinstalling was a Windows solution. :confused:

Maybe iTunes doesn't like loading music over a network. I downloaded the Audion demo, and that seems to work well for the time being.

Why did I buy an iMac? Because no new lineup had been announced when I ordered it, and I really wanted the 20" screen, and the Apple store had RAM upgrades on sale ($250 off), and I was tired of working on crappy PCs. My old monitor looks absolutely dull next to this LCD, and my friends are all already wishing they had Macs. :)

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

for the usb thing whats wrong with itunes? itunes is far as for features have you ever acctually used any of them without doing it as a test?
    and the ipod is small dosent look like an ugly brick there is a line out on the dock and if you dont have a dock you can just use the headphone port it's the same thing who wants to squint at an lcd on a remote? that bulks the thing out and looks ugly the ipod remote is elegant and simple.

ipods are just nicer

16. barnett25 macrumors member

I won't buy another iRiver player again. My flash player died after less than a year of normal use. The little joystick thing they use for navigation was glitchy after only a few months, then the battery cover lasted about as long before it needed tape. (I wasn't hard on the thing I promise). And I paid $180 for only 256MB. Definatly getting an iPod next.

17. Morgenster macrumors newbie

I haven't so much noticed stability problems. Itunes just works, but...
    with each new version it seems as though it sucks up more resources on my G3 Imac, making it sluggish sometimes. Could be the size of my library though.

18. webmatthijs macrumors member

I know how you feel.

I know how you must feel. Crashing programes drive me mad!
    Try searching in your library for any files that u might think may effect iTunes and drag them to your desktop, don't trash them. then restart iTunes, if it works fine after that you can just trash the files you took out of the library.
    Good luck!

iTunes totaly rocks! especially the music store. :) :)

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Oh please,
    :rolleyes:

20. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

apparently, it's good enough to be the best selling mp3 player.

i do realize best selling != "best" device, but i think it counts for something...

21. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

To the Captain..

Figure out what's wrong and fix it. You won't regret it. There is no better player than iTunes. Reinstalling iTunes is extremely simply. I don't understand what you mean by 'integrated'. Trash iTunes, download itunes from apple, intall it. done.

22. goodwill macrumors regular

maybe since your new to the 20inch mac youre still used to windows and you are using the windows version. doubtful i know, but hey, ive never ever heard of itunes crashing consistently like that. i think everyone can attest theres nothing more sound and stable than itunes in the music market right now. Kazaa is filled with spyware, napsters pay for play now and despite itunes being as pay for play as well, it has a vast collection that should appease you easily.