iTunes Remote

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by maverick808, Jul 10, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

maverick808

Has anybody got the iTunes remote to work? It asks me to put the passcode into iTunes but after I do it just waits and waits and never seems to accept it.

2. macrumors 68000

try setting your firewall to allow itunes full access to the internet/network on your mac/pc

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

maverick808

Doesn't work, even with the firewall totally off.

4. macrumors member

ylnick413

maybe you need to use port forwarding?

i know there is documentation somewhere on the iTunes Remote.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

maverick808

You don't need port forwarding within the local network. iTunes discovers the remote anyway, but once you put the passcode in it just seems to lock up.

6. macrumors 68000

what locks up? itunes or iphone?

7. macrumors regular

by the way, this app is brilliant, dont think there's any lag at all

8. macrumors regular

Hopstretch

Similar problem here. iTunes detects Remote and accepts passcode, but Remote then searches for a while and says it can't find my music library. Any thoughts?

9. macrumors member

How to make it work...

Okay, so I did some looking into this because I had the same problem. I checked the Firewall logs and it was denying access from my iphone. Here is what you need to do:

1. Enable Sharing on iTunes
    2. Go to Firewall (In Security on System Prefs)
    3. There are 3 radio buttons, select the 3rd one
    4. Below the box, click the + icon, a window will appear. Select iTunes, it will default to Allow Incoming Connections.

This made it work on mine!

10. macrumors regular

Hopstretch

Thank you! That worked like a charm. Go Sox.

I assume that Firewall is still blocking all other incoming connections?

11. macrumors 68000

as long as it is set to "set access for specific services and applications" then yes

12. macrumors 68020

Can it control front row ?

13. macrumors regular

Hopstretch

New wrinkle. Every time iTunes restarts it requires authentication to accept incoming connections, even if you have set it to do so in Preferences.

:confused:

14. macrumors newbie

It just plain isn't working for me. Here's the rub: I'm using an Ad-Hoc network. I don't have WiFi here in the office so I created a network with my Macbook and connected with the iPhone. When I bring the Remote.app up iTunes recognizes it and asks for the passcode. I type it in and iTunes just sits there on "Verifying Remote Passcode" until it finally gives up and clears out the passcode fields. I can try again but it keeps hanging there. Restarting iTunes didn't do anything, nor did restarting my iPhone. I tried the firewall trick listed above, still no joy.

I just wanna play with the new shinies! Wah!

15. macrumors regular

I can't even get the passcode screen to come up on my iMac. Does it matter if I'm using a G5?

16. macrumors newbie

Remote not working

I get the Passcode on the phone but I see no place to type it in in iTunes. I did all the suggested stuff. Any suggestions?

17. macrumors 603

marksman

It should just automatically show up in iTunes.

When i did it, I accessed it on the phone ,it showed me the PIN, I flipped back to iTunes and the screen to input the pin was already there.

18. macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. The iPhone doesn't show up in the devices list when it's disconnected from iTunes. Very frustrating as this looks like a very cool app!!

19. macrumors 6502a

Can anyone tell me if the iTunes Remote App provides a cover-view mode? I'd assume yes (cause its so cool) but I could see issues with its viability since the covers would have to be sent in-mass (or otherwise) to the iPhone or iPod Touch.

Anyone know for sure?!?!

Dave

20. macrumors member

having the exact same problem, tried everything and still can't get it to sync up.

21. macrumors member

No coverflow:(

Still a damn nice app though. No lag at all.

22. macrumors 6502a

Kinda had that feeling in the back of my head... too much image data to pass over the network for it to be realistic (at least for a 1.0 version)... Maybe with some luck Apple will find some kind of acceptable workaround.

Dave

23. macrumors member

I'm having the same problem. The iPhone gives me the passcode but nothing shows up on iTunes. Has anyone had this happen and figured out how to fix it?

Thankyou

24. macrumors newbie

Not yet but it's early days... bound to be resolved sooner rather than later! Maybe when I get the 3G tomorrow there will be a fix!!

25. macrumors newbie

I have the same problem also. iTunes just wont see my iPhone at all. My iphone gives me the passcode but iTunes just sits there and does nothing. I've tried turning off the OSX firewall, turned off NetBarrier, making sure sharing is turned on in iTunes and still nothing!

So any ideas would be really good