Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plaestation

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Firewall

guys with issues getting the iphone/ipod remote to be recognized in itunes: DISABLE YOUR FIREWALL

this solved my problem! i only needed to disable it to enter the security passcode.

hope this helps!

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
This app is really great and useful, but I have noticed that it can corrupt your ID tags if you have special characters in an artist name, such as Lindstrøm, or Fantômas. I'm not sure why it is changing the tags at all, but it's kind of crazy that you can be messing up your library by using this, I hope they fix it soon.

I assumed this was caused by iTunes Remote but it may just be a bug in iTunes 7.7.

McGoogles

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
My firewall wasn't enabled. There seem to be a variety of problems surrounding this. Sure is great when it works, though.

I did notice that even when it's working it can sometimes miss volume changed events, but overall it kicks butt. Especially since netTunes is still broken by Leopard, and the Apple TV remote is a cheap piece of junk.

:eek:

sixty9m3

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
so i'm completely lost on how to get this app to work. so i dl'd the app to my phone and i launched it on my phone and selected "add library" and i get the passcode. the problem is i have no where to put the passcode. nothing changes on my itunes so iono what's going on.

i have my firewall off and both the computer and phone are on the same wireless network. any advice?

rabiulhuq

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
possible solution

Hi there...i was having issues with this and it was doing my head in. Basically i could see my iphone under devices in itunes, but upon entering the passcode itunes just sat there and did nothing.

What i did to solve it was create an adhoc wireless network on my mac, then connect to this network from the iphone and repeat the whole passcode process. That seemed to work.

I then reverted back to my proper wifi network on both mac and iphone and everything is still working fine.

1world

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Hi all,

I had the same problem. The passkey was accepted but Remote on iPod Touch was searching endlessly for my music library - UNTIL I turned on AirPort on my iMac and logged in to my network through WiFi !!!

Might be that I've originally set up sharing my music before I connected my iMac through Ethernet and somehow the initial settings for connection trough WiFi is still there causing a conflict.

I haven't figured out how to connect through Ethernet yet.

macfilm

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Mine worked fine first time and had no probs :)

BUT, now when I'm playing something and I want to skip through the track by tapping the screen it no longer shows me my scrubber bar to go to another part of the song :(

(from UK)

fixItuneRmote

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
*******passcode Fix For Ipod Remote******

*******PASSCODE FIX FOR IPOD REMOTE******I borrowed next doors wifi and connected my mac to it and my ipod, the passcode went through straight away connected everything back to my network and now the remote works

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
At first iTunes wouldnt even detect it at all. So I removed my ethernet connection to my router and connected my PC wirelessly to the Router. Now iTunes detects my iPhone. But when I enter the passcode it just says verifying passcode...then nothing!

Im a PC user BTW

marcochp89

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Mexico City
Hello!!! I'm new, I'v been reading this site since thursday wan decided to fully participate.
I have a problem with this app, I've already disabled the firewall and manage to get iTunes recognize my iPod, however the iPod seem unable to find my music library. Any suggestions?
photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Working like a champ

This is a great application. It synched with iTunes on my iMac like a charm and provides great control.

Metsfan7450

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
Okay, so I did some looking into this because I had the same problem. I checked the Firewall logs and it was denying access from my iphone. Here is what you need to do:

1. Enable Sharing on iTunes
2. Go to Firewall (In Security on System Prefs)
3. There are 3 radio buttons, select the 3rd one
4. Below the box, click the + icon, a window will appear. Select iTunes, it will default to Allow Incoming Connections.

This made it work on mine!

Step 1 is compelte but where do you go to for system pref (security)...itunes menu, touch menu?

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I had the same problem that others have described where the passkey was accepted but then Remote could not find my iTunes library. I have Intego NetBarrier X installed and this requires changing the firewall settings from Client Only to Client, Local Server to allow incoming access.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
New wrinkle. Every time iTunes restarts it requires authentication to accept incoming connections, even if you have set it to do so in Preferences.

:confused:

This is a bug with Leopard rather than with Remote itself. You can check 'allow' as many times you want, it still asks for permission every time you relaunch the program. Really terrible.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
There's two things to keep in mind here with this app:

1) When doing the pairing, notice that you never specify the IP address/hostname of your iTunes-enabled computer. As such, I'm guessing it's sending out broadcasts. So, you probably need to be on the same network segment. (I haven't confirmed this - I'm too lazy to un-pair and re-pair).

2) To actually get a remote session working (once you've paired), you need to allow inbound 3689/tcp to your iTuned-enabled computer. You can do this by allowing inbound connections to iTunes (via firewall preferences), or just allow inbound 3689/tcp (if you're managing ipfw rules manually).

brasknucs

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
No issues here at all. Synced it to my iTunes & my AppleTV.

I LOVE it with AppleTV!!

enigmatut

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
MA
GREAT app

I feel badly for everyone having issues with this app because it is arguably the BEST new app for the iPhone (and iPod Touch). I hope no one becomes too discouraged by the obstacles they've encountered, because once you get this thing working I guarantee you'll love it.

doteyes9

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2007
I happen to have 2 routers (IDK why its just the way it's setup) and I use one as a router and one as a switch. The switch has wifi on it and both my iPod and MacBook connect to it but iTunes never sees the iPod. I'm just lost here. They need to release an update to fix this issue.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
It took me over 36 hours to figure it out but it finally works!!!

My MacbookPro connects via WiFi to my Belkin router. I disabled firewall on both my network and mac. Setup the Remote App on the iPhone. Plugged in the iPhone. Entered the four digital code to the page in iTunes. It connected instantly. Then I put my firewalls back up. The one on my Mac has iTunes as an essential service.

All works - I can't believe how great this is. One day when I have a big flat screen tv and AppleTV I will probably buy a second hand 8gb iPod Touch on eBay just to use that with this remote software. I love it!!!

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
i really can t wait to get this app, im just waiting on a 2.0 jailbreak or something so i can use it here in Canada with my 1st gen iPhone

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
There's two things to keep in mind here with this app:

1) When doing the pairing, notice that you never specify the IP address/hostname of your iTunes-enabled computer. As such, I'm guessing it's sending out broadcasts. So, you probably need to be on the same network segment. (I haven't confirmed this - I'm too lazy to un-pair and re-pair).

2) To actually get a remote session working (once you've paired), you need to allow inbound 3689/tcp to your iTuned-enabled computer. You can do this by allowing inbound connections to iTunes (via firewall preferences), or just allow inbound 3689/tcp (if you're managing ipfw rules manually).

Tip, I agree. That is the root cause of many of these problems. There is a TTL parameter in the broadcast message. That indicates whether routers should pass on the broadcast message or not. It is probably set such that it only works when iTunes and iPhone are on the same subnet.

dangleheart

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
It is working well for me and it is quite awesome. I am always close to the iTunes machine, it is so far just a novelty for me. What are the real world uses for this?

1) You lying in bed listening to your iTunes library and you do not have to get up to shut it off.

2) Your iTunes library is upstairs and you somehow have speakers downstairs and you can control iTunes from anywhere in the house.

3) I can see it being very useful with AppleTv.

4) I do not understand people trying this from School. Are you trying to control iTunes at home from school? What does that do? ( I probably misunderstood this ).

5) It will be great if the scenario is this. I have some music or video on my iPhone. As I get in the house, with a little flip of a switch I want what is on the iPhone to switch to my TV or to my audio system. And then as I walk out, I want the media play back to my iPhone. Is this set up to do something like that.

Beyond this, I am out. Please share your scenarios on using this.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
1,2,3 are what i would be using it for and i think thats pretty awesome, 4,, hmm i dunno about that i dont see the point, 5 well taht d be pretty cool to do no?

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
CHECK YOUR NETWORK

It may sound stupid, but my imac was automatically connected to my neighbors un-secure wireless network, and my iPhone was connected to my secure internal wifi network. Because it couldn't find a connection between the two devices (a gateway, if you like), my iPhone wouldn't show as a remote in iTunes.

I changed both my iMac and iPhone to connect through my internal secure wifi network, and my iPhone popped up under 'remotes' in iTunes.

R-Fly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.