iTunes replacemnet for Windows 98

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by YeahToast, Sep 28, 2005.

1. YeahToast macrumors newbie

*I already d/l'ed the driver so win 98 could see the ipod as a mass storage drive...

I know its kinda a re-post but i also did check and try searching and i have tried 3 diffrent programs and still get it too run CORRECTLY!!!

i have tried winamp w/ the ipod plugin and only about 10% of my songs actually got transfered over to the ipod...

then i tried "ephpod" which didnt work at all as well as "vpod" not working

i was wondering if anyone else knew of any other replacements for iTunes for win98...

THX!!

2. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

u r still running windows 98? what the hell is with people and using completely antiquated OS's? buy a copy of XP for....free...it will be cheaper than all of the crap you are doing and won't be such a hack job.

moral: look at technical specs, there is a reason it doesn't support windows 98.

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

that is what was given on CD when iTunes for windows was not around, but i am not sure if they still worked with Win 98 or not

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

if u have the $$$ for a iPod you should have the $$$ for a mac mini(or get the mini firsts) or at least a 299 PC

sorry have no idea how to help you there

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Doesn't even support '98

The iPod isn't even supported on anything before Windows 2000...

So that means no ME, no '98 and no '95.

Seriously, if you can afford an iPod, you can afford to upgrade your OS.

7. alfadog macrumors newbie

Apple "snobby"? Or just inconsiderate?

Legal version of MS XP Home $85 and up
    Memory Upgrade $40 and up
    Hard drive upgrade $80 and up
    New laptop when all that still doesn't make your P2/300 run XP well $800 and up

Sticking with a good system that suits your needs and doesn't cost you a dime - Priceless

Get real, someone could actually buy an iPod and still be running Win98SE, it is a perfectly viable OS still supported by MS. Apple made their decision to not support it in iTunes but that is not a reflection on anyone but Apple.

For that matter why doesn't Apple support OS 9 with iTunes Store?

I have worked on MS platforms for years and lately have been playing with Mac OS. I have about a dozen older Macs (1400, clamshell, iMacs to 500 MHz) running OS 7/8/9/10. What I have found is that Apple is "snobby", no actually they are inconsiderate. Some examples; support for older Mac OS is hard to find on the website (yes I know there is some there but it is hard to find and you go in loops looking for it, finding something like iTunes 2.6 for Mac OS 9 is a chore if you don't already know what you are looking for), they do not make their service manuals available (though I have found several sites that have them, in violation I am sure). It seems to me that Apple is MUCH more oriented toward selling you the latest goody than supporting the one they sold you four years ago. Much worse in that respect than other vendors and I have a LOT of experience with other vendors.

John
    alfadog

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Apple still supports Macs that were sold new in 1999 with OS X Tiger. You can download TONS of old Apple software from the website, including System 7 (Mac OS 7) free. They even have a fair number of support documents on the website. In fact, they have some Apple II software and information, and last I checked, the Apple II first came out in 1977. I've got a Mac II purchased new in 1987, and just this year I was able to find information on Apple's website that was enough to help me get it working with a zip drive so I could transfer files, and I'll soon be upgrading the RAM and installing System 7 (which I downloaded free from Apple) just for fun.

All that said, you have to remember that Apple makes money from people buying their hardware, not from people using old hardware and software that is long since obsolete. It would take a lot of time and effort to continue to support OS 9 or Windows 98, both of which are older-generation OSs. W98 is DOS-based, unlike the NT based W2000 and XP, while OS 9 is a descendent of the original Mac OS, unlike the Unix based OS X. Apple has determined that the money to be made by supporting users of these obsolete OSs isn't enough cover the expense involved.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

ahh yes that too

plus its free

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can't expect Apple to support their biggest competitor's 8 year old operating system. That's just nuts. I can see why they don't support 98. Hell, Microsoft doesn't support it either.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

While Win98SE is okay, you might consider upgrading your system/OS to WinXP. That way you will have a much more robust and stable OS and it will support iTunes.

As for Win98SE solution, sorry but I cannot help you there.

Sushi

13. lalcan macrumors regular

Hey Alfa, have you been in the shadow? ;) MS doesn't even supports Win 2000 anymore, at the rate they are doing it, soon they'll cut support for XP, even before having another bad-excuse-of-an-OS like vista or something.

14. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Correction

Windows 98 Support

I've always felt that Microsoft has supported older software longer/better while Apple supports older hardware longer/better. This makes sense given the corresponding focus of each company.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Let's not get carried away.

Currently Microsoft supports Windows 2000 and XP. Windows 2000 is still the choice of many large corporations. In many cases, Win2K is better than WinXP depending on the situation and hardware available.

Microsoft also supports other Windows OS besides these two. Support for some Windows versions such as ME have been dropped.

BTW, the support for XP will not stop immediately after Vista's introduction. It will be some years before this happens.

Sushi