iTunes ripping problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lobo, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Lobo macrumors newbie

I just got a new cd (Neal Morse - Testimony Special Ed.) and of course the first place I put it after I open the shrink wrap was in my cd drive so I could get it in iTunes, just like I've done with all my other cds. But, unlike all my other cds, this one hit a snag on the last track of the first cd. It slowed down, stopped, I switched it to my dvd rom drive, same thing, but after leaving the one song ripping for 10 minutes, it finally finished. Then, when I went to play this cursed song, I heard the most terrible popping, grinding, swirling noises I've ever heard. Only in brief instances could some form of sound that could be considered music poke through this abrasive, debris ridden soundscape. Well, that sucks, I thought. Must just be a scratched disk, I assumed. Then I put it in my regular home stereo and it played perfectly. Then I put it back in my computer to try and just play it. Enter the terrible grinding noises. So, after a few experiments I've concluded that this song will work on all regular cd players, and on no digital ones. This isn't good because it's a concept album and without this song it's like having a blurred chapter in a book: a ruined experience. So, any of you mac-shamans have any idea about how to lift this digital curse?

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

You could play it off your stereo and import through the line in jack on your computer using sound studio.

3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

Did you check to see if its a copy protected CD? I have only had what you describe happen with a damaged CD with scratches. Maybe you can take it back to the store and tell them it does not play in your CARE stereo. Those are more sensitive. It could be just the particular CD you have and another of the same would work fine.

4. Lobo thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it's copy protected. The first 14 tracks ripped fine, so I don't think there's a problem there. My best guess was that it was just scratched too, but I can't see any serious scratches on it, and usually it works the opposite: A cd that is scratched to hell won't play in my stereo, but I can still rip it fine. The fact that it played perfectly in my finicky home stereo but wouldn't rip led me to believe that it was possibly some kind of computer problem.

5. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I really cannot think of how it could be computer related either. Sometimes certain disks have more or less reflective material and some types of players have a hard time. I know my car player is the WORST (Its a SOny) and it hates scratches and dust, etc. My Mac and home player are about equal, but if it fails in one, it often works in the other. Who knows why.

But in my experience, if it fails on a Mac it will fail totally, not just for 1 track

I did read somewhere (sorry I cannot be more specific) that some forms of copy protection messed up the first track and in PCs and OS 9 is would not even mount, but in Linux and OS X something else was messed up but it could mount. Check the packaging and web sites to see if its protected.