Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ani2A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
In trying to set up shared music among the users of my computer I think I deleted the original file info, even though there was a music folder showing folders for the individual artists in my library. These however now appear to be empty. I have the music listed in iTunes but when I try to open a song I get a window with the following message, "The song "...." could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" But no luck locating the files. The guy at the Apple Genius Bar said I could retrieve the music but refused to tell me how because it is supposedly illegal. I don't know why it is illegal because the tunes were purchased. But he did tell me to google the problem and I have come up empty handed. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Run a system-wide search for .m4p files, or .m4a if you ripped some music from CDs. Incidentally, what exactly did you do while trying to "share" the music between user accounts? Apple has a fairly straightforward set of steps under the following URL to accomplish what it sounds like you're trying to do: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1203

ani2A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Run a system-wide search for .m4p files, or .m4a if you ripped some music from CDs. Incidentally, what exactly did you do while trying to "share" the music between user accounts? Apple has a fairly straightforward set of steps under the following URL to accomplish what it sounds like you're trying to do: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1203

The URL you supplied is exactly what I followed. But because it was looking like I had duplicate folders of everything. Some went to the trash, must have been the original files. Got any other ideas?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Are the files still in the trash? If yes, select the files in the trash and try Command-Y.

Otherwise you have deleted the original. It's like throwing your wallet out the window, you lost it.

ani2A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Are the files still in the trash? If yes, select the files in the trash and try Command-Y.

Otherwise you have deleted the original. It's like throwing your wallet out the window, you lost it.

Checked trash a gazillion times. The result was the same the last time as the first time. Nothing there. I do have 2 folders, one says "iTunes Library.xml" and the other "iTunes Music Library.xml" These seem to have the info from the original iTunes Music folder. Is there a was of translating that info?

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
User/music/itunes/itunes music/ is where your music files should be. Try rebuild iTunes library and point itunes to this folder (user/music/itunes/itunes music).

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Checked trash a gazillion times. The result was the same the last time as the first time. Nothing there. I do have 2 folders, one says "iTunes Library.xml" and the other "iTunes Music Library.xml" These seem to have the info from the original iTunes Music folder. Is there a was of translating that info?

Those files are useless unless you have the actual mp3 music files. All those do is hold the metadata and song locations. Unless you can find the music, your in trouble im afraid. Do you know how you did it.?

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
have you typed the song's name into spotlight? Everytime iTunes has "lost" one of my songs, that's the way I find it.

ani2A

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
I will give those suggestions a try. I don't know how I screwed the files up. I spent hours trying to retrieve the info and my mind became mush because I repeated several steps several times.

Thanks

giahue98

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
This worked for me....

I have been having the same problems of deleted files. I don't know how it originally happened, but I had many songs with the exclamation point next to the song and when I tried to open it, the message "The song “ XXXXX ” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" I would try to locate it with no luck. I looked under the iTunes folder, in Internet Downloads, everywhere I thought it might be, but ended up more frustrated. I'm not very computer saavy, but know how to navigate around things and I know the basics so I was able to find this thread in Apple support. Here's the link. There are a few links on that page, but I clicked on the "To download previously purchased apps, books, or music to your computer" link and it guides you through the steps. You have to download the latest version of iTunes (at the time of this posting it's 10.3). They have a new feature in the iTunes store on the right hand side under "purchased". This has a record of all the music you have purchased in the past in the iTunes store. I went back into my music library and deleted all the songs that had the exclamation point next to it and re-downloaded all the songs. It seemed to work for me, so I hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.