iTunes Search Shortcut

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dav, Jun 20, 2006.

1. dav macrumors 6502

Is there any shortcut to focus on the search box in iTunes? If not, that is ridiculous.

Safari - Command-Option - F
    Camino - Shift-Command - F

You get the point...

How about iTunes?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's the same as Safari for me - COMMAND-OPTION-F. Alternatively, you can use TAB to navigate there eventually.

That Camino shortcut (I don't have Camino installed) finds the selected word(s) in Spotlight for me. :)

3. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, thank you. You made me realize I had a quicksilver trigger set to paste something with that exact combination.

Sigh!

Thanks, and disregard this post.

4. brandonjp macrumors newbie

iTunes - Set a custom keyboard shortcut for Target Search Field

Just a update for other folks... Lifehacker had a tip for customizing the shortcut via the command line - but...

you can also set this in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts and add an Application Shortcut for iTunes that is set to "Target Search Field" -- image: http://bit.ly/fbZROw

[​IMG]

5. ashcroft3000 macrumors newbie

For some reason neither the terminal hack nor customizing the shortcut through System Preferences works for me (OSX 10.6.6, iTunes 10.4).

What works, is the following AppleScript, found here. You'll need some tool that assign shortcuts to AppleScripts, like FastScripts or still-awesome Spark.

Code:
    tell application "iTunes"
        -- Uncomment the following line if you want to create a global hotkey (available in any app)
        -- activate
        set winname to name of browser window 1
        -- Uncomment the following line if you want to switch to your music library first (else this hotkey starts a search in the current library, i.e. Music, Apps, iTunes Store etc.)
        -- set view of window winname to playlist "Music"
    end tell

tell application "System Events"
        tell application process "iTunes"
            set (value of text field 1 of window winname) to ""
            set focused of text field 1 of window winname to true
        end tell
    end tell