itunes sees but won't connect to speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mhawker, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mhawker macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2006
    Hi all,

I have an AE that works perfectly at home so I bought one for my iMac G5 at work. The setup seemed to go fine and iTunes shows "stereo" (my name for the AE connection) in the pull down menu for changing from "computer" to the AE connection.

When I select "stereo" in iTunes, a status bar shows it's trying to connect, but it never does. It times out after a minute to two but does not come up with any error message.

During my search, it seemed others have this problem but they also had an internet connection. This AE will be used for ONLY music. I had done this at home before but can't figure out what I'm missing.

Thank you for ideas.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    How far away is the Express? Could it be a range/interference issue? Also, do you have the latest version of iTunes and what sort of security do you have on this network? :)
  3. doug.hall macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    Have you uploaded the latestest airport express firmware? You should be running version 6.3.

Good luck
  4. mhawker thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2006
    Firmware has been updated, but still no joy. I brought my laptop from home and it found and is playing through this AE fine. Must be a setting on the iMac or iTunes somewhere... I've enabled (play iTunes) in the Music tab, so I know that's not it.
  5. mhawker thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 11, 2006
    Update: Fixed.

Thanks to Apple phone support a Hard Reset (i.e. paper clip- holding the button on the AE for about 5 seconds until the amber light flashed quickly) and subsequent network set up, fixed the problem.

Neither of us thought this would have been the fix since the laptop was sending music fine, but it's working perfectly now.