iTunes: Selling Computer Q: moving iTune Match and iPad backup settings to new comp.

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by davideotape, Nov 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

wasn't sure where to put this.
    quick background setup: I have an iMac (had for 1.5 yrs) and a MBP (w/time machine effectively 2 yrs)-- and since the MBP is more powerful than the iMac I've come to the realization it's a bit redundant and inefficient-- files I have on one computer I don't have on another, etc. so I decided to sell the iMac and grab a thunderbolt display instead.

ISSUE: iTunes Match is set up for the iMac and so is the iPad/iPhone.

I'm trying to transfer all of those settings without:
    1. losing songs on itunes match (it's an external HD so that shouldn't be too hard).
    2. the one I'm most concerned with: applying the MBP as my itunes of record for the iPad/iPhone without having to re-set up both of those and losing my backups. I mostly back up to the cloud but i realize hitting one bad prompt button could be super annoying so I'm trying to get a better understanding of the relationship there.

sorry if this Q is super pedestrian but quick google seach on Q2 hasn't yielded too many easily identifiable answers.

thanks.