iTunes shared music problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tag, May 29, 2005.

1. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

So I was just playing around with setting up shared music over my home's wireless network as I'd like to keep my music on just one computer, and it seems I've run into a problem. Each computer(iMac and my Toshiba laptop) recognize each others shared music. They each have identical music on both, except that on the Toshiba I imported a few CD's in MP3 format instead of apples normal AAC format.

Now it will play any of the music that is in AAC format via network, but it won't play the MP3 ones. Ill click on the MP3 file and the time will just stand still at 0:00, and a little grey '!' appears next to the song name in the list.

Is this normal that it can't play MP3s over shared network music or is something wrong with my setup somehow?

Now that I think about it, the music that is playing remotely I also have on my harddrive locally. Which it wouldn't make sense that you have to have copies of the remote music locally, so gah, I have no clue whats wrong.

EDIT: Ok after some testing it is playing the AAC files on the remote computers(which I found by using iTunes Monitor), but it still wont play the MP3s. Its only playing the AACs which incidentally I have exact copies of on my local computer(not sure if that is affecting it or not.)

2. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Are the mp3's ones you ripped ("imported") yourself? What bitrate are they? Is your network "b" or "g"? It's possible, if they're really large files and your network doesn't have enough bandwidth, that iTunes just can't stream those files.

3. tag thread starter macrumors 6502a

tag

Yes They are ones that I imported myself, minus like 5 or so that I got off of fox.com's website from that show 'John Doe' from a few years back that they let you download for free (anyone remember that show? it was great :)) And its a 'g' network and the MP3s aren't that large, a few MBs each. And the AAC ones are work streaming, so hmm I don't know.

I guess if it comes down to it Ill just have to re-import them but Id still rather just figure out what's going on.

4. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

That "grey ! mark" means it cant find the file.

Your probably confusing the heck out of your computer by having 2 mp3 collections in 2 different spots. I guarantee thats the problem. I have seen it dozens of times. Just load all your music on 1 computer.

Also make sure that iTunes is looking in the right spot and you dont have mp3's in two spots on the same CPU.

/user/music/itunes/itunes music/ is default, if you are storing them somewhere else such as /Macintosh HD/MP3's make sure iTunes knows this and is putting them there by default.

Then just use iTunes sharing, as you have been.

Good luck and enjoy!

5. tag thread starter macrumors 6502a

tag

Oh why didn't I think of that, all of the AAC files are in they default itunes music drive, but when I encoded the others in MP3 format I kept them in a different folder.

I really didn't think that would be an issue as seeing they played fine on the laptop locally, but when they were sent over the network for some reason iTunes couldn't remotely find them. Thats just odd, but consolidating the library into one place did the trick, thanks D0ct0rteeth. :D

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Anytime. Enjoy!