iTunes Sharing question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ferrisb, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ferrisb macrumors member

I used to have a small firewire drive that I kept my music library on, that I could take to work with me each day so I could listen to my tunes there. Then, the drive crashed, and doesn't work anymore. (Luckily, I had a backup of my tunes on another computer at home, so I didn't lose too much.)

But now, because I'm too cheap to buy a new one right now, I'd like to know if anybody knows how I can stream my music from my Mac at home, to my machine at work? I know that iTunes used to have this feature, but then Apple took it out. Does anybody know of any hacks that will allow this, or even any third party software that I could use to basically set up an online radio station from home?

So, before anybody jumps to any conclusions about me wanting to pirate music:
    I'd like to keep it protected so that only I can connect to it, so that I don't kill my bandwidth, and also to prevent any possible piracy issues that may arise. This would be from one of my computers to another one of my computers.

If anybody can help me, that'd be great.

2. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Well, it's not free, but there is a really nice program called Nicecast that would let you do this. I enjoy it quite a bit.

Check out the details at http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/.

3. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Well, how much room do you have on your work computer? Enough to hold a good amount of music?

4. ferrisb thread starter macrumors member

I've got the space to put my entire collection on the work computer (it's a PC), but getting the music to that machine is the issue. I have somewhere around 50GB of music. Plus, I'd like to try and limit the amount of personal stuff I have on this machine, since it belongs to the company, and not me.

I'll definately be checking out that NiceCast. Just from a quick glance, it seems to be the type of thing I'm looking for.

5. ferrisb thread starter macrumors member

Just as a followup to my question earlier - I wanted to share what I found and am currently using.

http://www.slimdevices.com/

I downloaded the open-source (that also means it's FREE) SlimServer, took about 15-20 minutes to set it up last night, and I've been listening to my tunes for the last 3 hours at work. The quality isn't the greatest (64k) but that's because of my slower home connection. I'm able to limit the amount of simultaneous connections, put a password on it, and select what songs I want to hear, unlike other radio stations.

I recommend that anyone interested in doing any kind of music streaming try this stuff out.

Thanks for the help and suggestions,

FerrisB