iTunes sharing server?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jelwell, May 2, 2003.

1. jelwell macrumors member

iTunes 4 best, and quite overlooked feature, is Sharing. If you go into the preferences you can turn sharing on, and your friends can connect to your iTunes and stream any song in your library to their mac!

This beats the old standbye of streamed radio stations hands down because you can select any song you want to listen to instead of listening to whatever song your friend wants to push to you.

What I want to know is how long before there's a (preferably linux) iTunes server software? I want to be able to upload all my mp3s onto a dedicated server and then my friends and i can listen to my music from anywhere!

I wonder if I bought an Xserve if it will run itunes...
    joe.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Erm...dude...get with the program! We've been talking about this since the release, it's got more coverage around here than any other feature, there are loads of threads on it! :rolleyes:

3. TheMessenger macrumors newbie

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. You guys are way too hardcore here. No slack whatsoever.

TheMessenger

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's been said before, and I'll say it again....use the "Search" function! :p

I don't think that's "hardcore" :rolleyes:

5. agente macrumors newbie

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: iTunes 4 Tip - Sharing iTunes Libraries Over IP; It's Not Just For Rendezvous

we've been sharing IP's in two of the Community Discussions threads ever since the release of iTunes 4.

7. jelwell thread starter macrumors member

You flubbed it.

You've totally missed the point of this thread and have decided to go on your own little tangeant. :(

Let me repeat the original (unedited) question: " What I want to know is how long before there's a (preferably linux) iTunes server software? I want to be able to upload all my mp3s onto a dedicated server and then my friends and i can listen to my music from anywhere!"

Now let me add some clarity to this since it's obvious that it's gone misinterpreted. I already know that I can share my library with my friends. (Duh! I mention that's the best feature) What I want to know is I already have a dedicated linux server, so is there software that I can run that will mimic iTune's new sharing ability and allow me to run it on a linux machine? Alternatively, can I buy an Xserve, set it up as a dedicated host, and run iTunes 4 on it, sharing my music with all my friends from a dedicated (key - NOT desktop/laptop) server.

Joseph Elwell.

8. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: You flubbed it.

hm, im also interested in that kind of stuff. my linux box is our dns server, router, firewall, gateway, fileserver ( samba , ftp ) nis, and so on ....
    Would be great if i could add itunes suport :) hence at the moment, still using the "old" mp3s, it works great , ( some kind of ) " streaming" those over the net.

9. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Well, I constantly have dumb questions, and these guys (and girls) have been a big help.... edesignuk being one :D

10. ryaker macrumors newbie

shareitunes.com adds playlist browsing

We have added playlist browsing to our site.
    Come by and check it out. More to come.

Thanks
    Richard Yaker
    ryaker@yaker.org

Our Parents Taught Us Well.
    Don't Steal. Share!!
    http://www.shareitunes.com