iTunes Sharing...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ezkimo, Sep 11, 2004.

1. ezkimo macrumors regular

Recently random people have been appearing in the iTunes shared music area. Most of them when clicked just gets an error (-3260)...occasionally when I click somebody I will get a password pop-up, but I dont know them so cant continue...This probably isnt a good thing I would imagine since its not supposed to happen...Is my network a little to "open to the public" or something?

What would you reccomend? Leave it? Do something?

I attached a screenshot of todays people. I happen to know one of them actually, but I rarely do.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

what type of network do you have set up? wireless? wired? if wireless do you have it password protected or is it a closed network?

it seems that some people have been tapping into your network, at least thats all i can gather....

3. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

Its wired. 2 iMac, 1 PowerMac and and iBook (occasionally) hooked to router to DSL modem with password and firewall. I am certain that at least some of the people are not tapping in...3 of them are people (out of lots and lots) I know and have discussed it with. One I actually was on the phone with when he downloaded iTunes and turned sharing on and within 30 seconds he showed up in my iTunes.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

iTunes is only supposed to be able to share music with other computers on the same sub-net (computers directly connected physically with wires, or ethereally over Wi-Fi). It used to be able to share over the internet with any iTunes user, but the RIAA got uppity about that.

5. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

I realize that...and thats why I asked why people that are not on my physical network are coming up

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Open up the Terminal and type "findsmb".

What does that show?

7. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing listed...however, I did that when no strange people were appearing...Ill wait till one pops up and do it again

8. CHess macrumors regular

Very interesting...

What version of iTunes are you running? Are you showing up on the other people's shared music lists as well? Are you maybe using the same DSL provider? Do you have any Airport cards in any of your computers that might also have Internet Sharing turned on???

9. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

iTunes 4.6

Not showing up in other peoples

Fairly certain the DSL provider is not the same in every scenerio, but its possible

No airport cards

10. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

Did it while somebody was showing up in iTunes and got:

IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

so I assume that nobody unexpected is connected? is that right?

11. Miner Willy macrumors regular

itunes sharing

I have just had a thought, it could be that the other machine connected to your network have multiple users installed on them and it is just someone else logging onto one of the macs..

Sorry if it sounds obvious but you gotta start somewhere ;)

12. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

They all have 1 account accept one of the imacs that has 2...and they are all mine...

13. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

is it a fact, that if people have the old iTunes version installed, they could still share the music?

14. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

What version of iTunes could share with anybody over the internet? That sounds like such a cool feature - just to browse playlists even. Did iTunes pop up with like millions of shared libraries then under "Shared Music"?

15. ezkimo thread starter macrumors regular

I think it was 4.1...and then 4.1.1 removed it but I could very well be wrong..

and yes, if you kept the older version you could still share. Lots of people held out till 4.2 or 4.3 before switching to new version.