iTunes Skipping my music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TyleRomeo, Nov 15, 2006.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

itunes 7 is making my music skip. It's every once in a while, and always at different times. Sometimes a song will play fine and then another song will skip 15 times. I thought it was the CPU but activity monitor say itunes is only using 5-10%, I have a dual 1.25 G4. Now I'm thinking its my hard drive, its just getting too full, i have over 20,000 songs, more than half which are AIFFs. Anyone else have a similiar problem as I?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it skip the song entirely or does it play part of the song and then skip to the next one? It sounds pretty basic but are the songs ticked? Do they have specific start and finish times set? :)

3. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

it skips for a second and then it continues right on. none of my songs have specific start and finish times set. its basically like having a scatched CD or DVD play, where it may studder for a split second and then continue on, except that these are digital files that do not have skips in them as they always skip in different spots and never the same ones again. I'm just wondering if this is usually a CPU issue, an itunes 7 issue, a hard drive nearly full issue or having over 20,000 songs and things just slowing down, like giant iphoto libraries slow down performance.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, I have no troubles on my library and I have 24,000 songs, so I don't think that's necessarily the problem. Try playing one of the skipping tracks in QuickTime. A quick way to find the music file is to press COMMAND-R when it's selected in iTunes and then drag that file to the QuickTime icon on your Dock or whatever. Does it skip in QuickTime too? :)

5. TyleRomeo thread starter macrumors 6502a

no it doesn't skip in quicktime, what kind of mac do you have and how much free hard drive space do you have on your drive that has your music in it?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, it's fine on my iBook G4 (800MHz with 640MB of RAM and plenty of free space on the boot drive). How much free space do you have on your boot drive? It doesn't matter how much space is available on the drive with your music on it but it matters how much free space is available on the drive that's running OSX. :)