iTunes skips/jumps when Firefox is refreshed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OwlsAndApples, Jan 17, 2007.

1. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Ok, I have never noticed this before, but when I refresh a page in firefox, my music playing in iTunes jumps...My music is only encrypted at 160kbps and sometimes 128kbps (yeah I know, I should have my music at better quality, but I ripped in it the days of smaller HDs..). Furthermore, my PC has 768mb RAM so caching the music shouldn't be the problem, it never has been before). It's just really annoying :(

2. Queso macrumors G4

Camino occasionally does that too. A bug in the Gecko engine perhaps? Doesn't happen under Safari.

This is on my iMac G5 with 1.5GB RAM BTW, just for reference.

3. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Could well be a bug in the Gecko engine, annoying because it's put a blot on my admiration of the PC version of Firefox (I always use Safari for Mac).`:eek:

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

This is not a firefox problem. It is just that your use of firefox that exposes a limitation of the operating system. A modern OS should be able to run iTunes with real time priority and let some other task use whatever bits of the CPU time are left over.

The days of "cooperative multitasking" are long gone.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's most likely a RAM issue. Firefox, no matter what you do about it, eats up a ton of RAM and often has memory leaks. iTunes suffers because it doesn't have the RAM that it needs to operate correctly, so everything goes to hell.

6. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

In task manager I still have a decent amount of RAM available...meh, I'll get over it :D

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin