Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

advres

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Boston
Hey all,

Does anyone know of any shareware or freeware out there that allows me to see whom in our little LAN here is accessing my playlists and what they are listening to?

I am just curious because I didn't realize anyone in my office had good taste in music :p Everyday when I quit iTunes it says I have people connected to my Library. I would just like to know who is listening to what. :rolleyes:

Any advise would be helpful, thanks!

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Yeah, I wonder about the same thing sometimes. I tried What Are People Listening 2?, but it doesn't seem to work for me. It always says "No Songs Being Shared Right Now," even though sometimes as many as five people are connected to my playlist. (Might be a university firewall issue or something? Don't know. :confused: )

So I'm curious, too, if anyone knows an iTunes plugin or small software program to get this feature.

advres

Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Boston
dotnina said:
Yeah, I wonder about the same thing sometimes. I tried What Are People Listening 2?, but it doesn't seem to work for me. It always says "No Songs Being Shared Right Now," even though sometimes as many as five people are connected to my playlist. (Might be a university firewall issue or something? Don't know. :confused: )

Ya, I tried that and got the same message. The thing about that script is it just tells you what song people are listening to anyway. It displays all the songs being listened to but not who is listening to them. More of what I am looking for is the computer name of who is listening or their address and also what they are listening to.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
the reason it just says no songs are being shared right now is that, if i'm not mistaken, it only counts songs that are being listened to. someone can be connected to your library (ie, have clicked on your name to see the song list) and not be listening to your library.

DougAdams

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Newton, MA
The script What Are People Listening 2 can only see the files that are open in your designated Music folder. This would be the files that other people on the network are reading and the ones you are reading (playing in iTunes).

You can't see who's using them because you would need access to those terminals. Unless you have the username and passwords, you can't get that info on a big network. Additionally, iTunes shared tracks do not provide enough information for AppleScript to identify their locations either.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
DougAdams -- Are you the same Doug Adams that runs that AppleScripts page? If so, I love that site ... seeing all those cool scripts was one of the reasons that convinced me to switch to the Mac. :)

So does anyone know of other solutions to view who's playing your song? Ideally, I think it would be great to see a program that shows some kind of pop up or notification when someone's playing one of your songs. Perhaps a script that stayed running in the background would work as well.

So ... any more ideas, anyone?

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
parenthesis said:
I don't know how much use you can get from it, but there is iTunes Monitor

http://www.ebyss.net/pages/software.html

Thanks parenthesis, that rocks! It's just what I (and possibly others?) were looking for.

I just downloaded it and tested it on our home network. For those considering downloading it: it displays the computer's IP and the song being played. If someone can see your playlist, but they're not playing any of your songs, the IP appears by itself. All this info is displayed in a tiny window. The interface couldn't possibly be any more simple ... I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.