iTunes Song Recommendations

Discussion in 'Community' started by arn, Oct 13, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

With October 16th quickly approaching, I think many people will be buying iTunes songs to support Apple's release on Windows.

I thought it'd be nice for people to post their recommendations for a couple of songs that are on the iTunes Music store that you absolutely love.

Please link the songs in this format, in UBB code

itms://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?&songTerm=Song+Name&artistTerm=Artist+name

You must seperate the song name with '+'s instead of spaces and %27 instead of apostrophes.

If you don't know how to link it, simply leave the song name/artist. we'll link it for you.

1) Make sure your recommended song is in the iTunes Music Store
    2) Give Name and Artist and a brief blurb about the song you like.
    3) Try to keep discussion to a minimum... if you would like to comment on other's contributions, also post 2 or 3 of your favorite songs.

Example/My Songs:

Afternoons and Coffeespoons by Crash Test Dummies -- A band, perhaps known best for Mmmmm, and SuperMan song... but I love all the songs from their early albums. Of the albums available on iTMS, I'd recommend this song as a very catchy Crash Test Dummies song.

Landspeed Song by Tanya Donelly. Tanya was a member of Belly, Prior to that, Throwing Muses. She's been solo for a little while now. I find this song quite energetic. I recommend this whole album actually (Lovesong for Underdogs)

Why Can't I by Liz Phair. I can't say this song is necessarily my fav from the album... but is good and previews well. Liz Phair just released a new album this year, and I think it's worth listening to.

arn

2. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Hmmm what I have purchased recently that I really like...
    Hopefully these links work--I'm on a PC right now so I can't test them :(

Warren Zevon -- "Dirty Life and Times." Probably my favorite song from his last album

The Sundays -- "When I'm Thinking About You." She's got such an awesome voice. FYI I'm not sure if this will link properly--I had to take the ' out of "I'm" for the link to show up in MacRumors.

The Vines -- "Country Yard." I bought the album on a whim after hearing one song, and it's really growing on me...

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

4. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Great idea Arn. Since iTunes support for indies is in the news, I stick to some of my favorite recent indie artists.

If you want to know what Belly might sound like today if they had stayed together and spent the last 10 years playing in obscure clubs, listen to Cat Power's new album "You Are Free." My favorite track is Free.

Interpol is best known for the song PDA, but my favorite off "Turn On The Bright Lights" is NYC. News networks should have played in the background during the NY blackout crowd shots this August.

Finally, it's hard for me to pick out just one track from Damien Rice's great new album "O", but I'll go with Volcano. While you're there, buy the whole album.

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Peter Gabriel -- "Growing Up"
    I first heard this on Delta Air Radio, coming home from Geekfest DC 2003. It's funky, it's a bit dark, but it's Peter Gabriel.

Lamb -- "Lusty"
    TripHop, killer beats, great vocals...gets me going!

Massive Attack -- "A Prayer for England"
    Pretty much, this entire album is great. This track in particular has such a compelling, smoothness to it...moving & emotional.

Everything But the Girl -- "Wrong"
    Most people are familiar with the track "Before Today," but this one is equally as good...smooth with a bit of dance appeal.

Hooverphonic -- "Out of Sight"
    Her voice...the samples...the feelings that generate through me when I listen to this track...get this entire album.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

For the classical fans:

O Fortuna by Carl Orff; the overature to Carmina Burana, one of the most awesome pieces of choral glory ever written. Sadlly overused in advertising, but still great.

Seraphim Classics - Bach: Favorite Organ Works; over an hour of fine Bach organ music for $6. Can't go wrong.

7. LoopHoles macrumors member

Speedy Marie by Frank Black
    You're not done knowing what pop guitar rock is until you have this song. Preview doesn't fade out (weird).

You Were Right by Built to Spill
    This song is in 3/3 (or is it 3/4? Waltz-like, anyway) and it borrows lines from famous songs and cliches. The preview is in a lower bitrate than 128, apparently. One of my favorite "alternative" bands that are signed to a major label.

Mesmerizing by Liz Phair
    This is a far better Liz Phair album than the new one (which sounds like Avril), IMO. I went ahead and put a link for the whole album, which I actually bought at iTMS. The song "Mesmerizing" does not have explicit lyrics.

8. temptatino macrumors newbie

tck - lived in beijing, now in the states
  9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

10. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Some fun remixes:

Bjork: Big Time Sensuality (The Fluke Minimix) LINK

U2: Night and Day (Steel String Remix) (7 minutes long) LINK

Rob Zombie: Living Dead Girl (Subliminal Seduction Remix) LINK

Dinah Washington: Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby? (Rae and Christian Remix) from Verve Remixed LINK

And...

Orgy: Blue Monday (new Order cover) LINK

Moby: Soul to Love (iTunes exclusive) LINK

Tori Amos: China (The whole album's good too.) LINK

Primitive Radio Gods: Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in my Hand LINK

I recommend all of the above. Also... albums I've bought with a lot for the price:

Barenaked Ladies: Disc One - 19 songs (1 hour 13) for $9.99

U2: Rattle & Hum - 15 songs (1 hour 12) for $9.99

Vangelis: Spiral - 39 minutes for $4.95

BTW, iTMS links don't like parentheses... but it's OK to use partial names--it's just a Search after all. And use albumTerm instead of songTerm to link an album :)

11. Iconocat macrumors member

What a cool idea... great choices out there!

I went through some of the songs in my iTunes and picked a few that are favourites currently in heavy rotation...

Pin by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Just a fantastic song for when I'm bouncing off the walls. We need more women like Karen O in music!!

Too Many People by the Pet Shop Boys - A fantastic classic. A great song for when I'm riding the metro to work.

I Love My Computer by Bad Religion - Need I say more?? :)

12. Java macrumors regular

13. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I accidently deleted this one by mikeyredk (Humor):

14. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Don't want to mess up the links, I know somehow I would manage to do it, so I'll just post the names

Elegia by New Order
    If you haven't seen the animated short "More" I suggest looking it up on the internet. Good luck with it, though, the only places I knew of that had it both removed it. Anyway, the song is played from start to finish during it and it works very well.

The World I Know by Collective Soul
    Good song, but that may be somewhat personal, it brings back memories.

Tangled Up in Blue, and All Along the Watchtower, both by Bob Dylan. If you don't have any Dylan songs, get some. These are just the first two in my list of his stuff, but I like them both a lot.

15. Xero macrumors 6502

exclellent idea!

ok hmm.. ah yes first off:

Portishead - Dummy
    This whole album is amazing, unfortunately song # 2 and 5 are currently missing from iTMS. Specificly i recommend checking out Mysterons, Numb, and Biscuit.

Beck - Sexx Laws
    This song is hilarious in classic Beck nature. Great beat too.

Counting Crows - Mr Jones (Live)
    This is an awesome live version. this whole live album is great too.

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
    Great song! although i have a diff version than this live one on iTMS, but... i just bought this one, and its just as good if not better!

BTW Shadowfax: that solo piano album is amazing!! im buying it right away, thanks for linking it. :)

16. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

17. Postal macrumors regular

Karsh Kale - Liberation - the title track from Karsh's latest album. Good electronic music with an Indian vibe to it.

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

19. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000