iTunes Songs play in on computer. Not iPod??!!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by BicyclePunk, Nov 29, 2006.

1. BicyclePunk macrumors regular

This is really weird. All of the iTunes songs I have purchased play fine in iTunes on my Mac. Now when I go to play them on the iPod, just about every song stops very early in the song. And the stopping time varies on each song. But none of them play all the way through. And a lot of those same songs have a loud "screetch" sound at some point. Very bad when listening to a loud song. Other facts about this problem:
    - 99% of the music ripped from my CD's plays fine on the iPod
    - I'm on a G5 Dual 2 GHz Power Mac
    - My music library is on a USB2 External hard drive
    - I have a black 80gig video iPod
    - the same issue was present on my 2nd generation 10gig iPod

Any ideas here? Thanks!

2. ricksbrain macrumors regular

3. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Even though you had the same problem on the old 2G, try restoring the firmware of your iPod via iTunes. Does this help? :)

5. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I didn't see anywhere to "restore the firmware", but I assume it's just a matter of pressing "restore" in the Summary tab in iTunes when I connect the iPod.

I did that and it looks like it installed some new software on the iPod. Now I just have to wait for my 14,012 songs to update.

So did I do this correctly? Thanks!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's restored. There's a more secure way of doing this via Disk Utility, but tell us how this goes before paddling down that stream. :)

7. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, well I tried that and it didn't work. It's so weird...only purchased songs from iTunes won't play right on the iPod. On the computer, they play fine. Don't know what else to do. Any ideas? Thanks!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well try de-authorising and then reauthorising your account from the Store menu. If that doesn't work, then try recreating your library. :)

9. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! The re-authorization didn't work. So I'm going to re-build the library. And I'm going to put it on my internal HD...not the external. Maybe that is the problem? I'll let you know. Thanks!

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

11. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

This happens to me sometimes if I have a music file that I "saved as source" from the internet as .mov. iTunes plays it blissfully, yet it won't load to the iPod.

12. BicyclePunk thread starter macrumors regular

I tried to re-build the library as described in the how-to, but it didn't work. I got everything back to normal, and then I basically started over from scratch: removed the iTunes Library and the XML from my user folder. Then I deleted the few albums in my iTunes Music folder.

I opened iTunes, and it was basically a clean slate. I made sure that my new music folder was on my computer hard drive...the default for iTunes. (My old Library of music was set to be on my external USB2 drive).

Then I imported a few of the albums that I legitimally purchased from the iTunes Music Store...the only songs that give me problems on the iPod.

And, well...that didn't work, either. The songs still play wrong on two different iPods, yet still play fine on the computer.

I don't know what else to do. Any other ideas, or should I just go through the hell of contacting Apple support?

Thanks!