iTunes starts up randomly. Anybody else experiencing this?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by not28, Dec 13, 2005.

1. not28 macrumors member

Hello, got a brand-new iBook G4 running the latest iTunes version. I've noticed that sometimes after I quit the app it will start up again on its own. I assume it's some kind of software bug that will be worked out. Has this happened to anybody else?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. ehayut macrumors member

I have the exact same problem on my PC. In fact, in addition to this, I've been getting some errors in my system logs, and they seem to be itunes related

4. not28 thread starter macrumors member

Only the stock iTunes controller widget. Will that start the app when I bring it up? I didn't think of that. I'll probably disable it now because this is getting on my nerves.

5. Milan macrumors member

I experienced this before and I am pretty sure I didn't have any iTunes related widget running.
    It's been a while since then so I really don't remember exactly but I think the problem always occured when I was doing a particular thing, or running a certain application.
    Sorry that I cannot be of any more help.

6. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

There was some trouble with the iTunes widget at first, but after the 10.4.3 update, everything seemed to be fixed. Make sure your ipods cable isnt being bumped and connecting and unconnecting.

7. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I also have this problem but unfortunately I don't know how to solve this issue :(

8. ehayut macrumors member

It look slike it must be a bug. Actually, it may be a major bug. Because as soon as this started happening, my computer started slowing down a lot.

So I reformatted, and my PC was ok. But then this iTunes thing started happening again (it keeps restarting itself after i exit), and my computer is being slow again :(

How can I report a bug to Apple anyway?

9. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

its been happening to me too. i'll drag my iPod to the trash, and then iTunes will open (randomly) and re-sync my iPodl. i've found that by right-clicking (ctrl-click) my ipod (on the desktop, with itunes closed) and choosing eject will solve it...so far. maybe a corrupted preferences file? MainMenu (
    http://www.santasw.com/products.html) can reset those....

btw, i'm running the latest version of iTunes, os x 10.4.3, and a 5G ipod with the newest soft/firmware update.

10. not28 thread starter macrumors member

It has been doing this even without the iPod connected. However it hasn't done it since I disabled the iTunes widget, so that was probably the problem.

11. ehayut macrumors member

what's this itunes widget you guys keep talking about? What IS an itunes widget? :p

12. Sathos macrumors regular

Used to happen to me. I had limewire open at the time, closing it solved the problem.