iTunes store error code (again!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EGT, Feb 14, 2005.

1. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

ahhhh, Help!?

I've been getting the 502 error code for god knows how long now. As i said before, it happens each time i try to access the shopping cart.

I can buy music using the 1 click download but not the shopping cart option. I have loads of stuff i wanted to get saved in the shopping cart so it's a little bit frustrating not being able to get access.

I've rang the apple support number but a record message gives me another number to ring. The people there haven't a clue what i'm talking about and they just told me to email it to the support people, which i did before picking up the phone.

This is what they said:

Thank you for contacting the iTunes Music Store.

For a brief time the store was unable to process this type of request. Since that time we have resolved the issue. (AHHH, NO!!)

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

If you continue to experience difficulties accessing this feature on the iTunes Music Store, please reply to this message with a detailed description of the issue.  

Customer feedback is extremely valuable to the success of our business and we appreciate your taking the time to share this information with us.

Sincerely,   

iTunes Music Store Support

To which i replied, in detail, saying the problem still exists.

then ...

Thank you for contacting the iTunes Music Store.

The iTunes Music Store team answers non-technical questions about billing, customer accounts, downloading music, and iTunes Music Store content.

The error you have encountered may be caused by the presence of web acceleration or firewall software. While the iTunes Music Store is unable to provide technical support, we can recommend that you either test your connection to the iTunes Music Store without the presence of this software or configure your system to allow access to the Music Store's address. (???)

For assistance in configuring your firewall, you may need to contact its manufacturer. For further information on the ports and address used by the iTunes Music Store, please review the following articles:

"Well Known" TCP and UDP Ports Used By Apple Software Products
    <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106439>

iTunes for Windows: Music Store - Using With Internet Filters or Accelerators
    <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93434>

The catalogue of songs grows every week. Visit often to preview the latest:
    <http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/store/>

Sincerely,

The iTunes Music Store Team

Need a quick answer?

iTunes Music Store Customer Service:
    <http://www.apple.com/support/musicstore/ww>

iTunes technical assistance:
    <http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww>

I haven't changed any Internet settings since i bought my powerbook. I've purchased and downloaded hundreds of songs using iTunes and then this error message comes out of the blue. I know others have reported the same thing but the message stopped showing after a few days.

On various other forums (and apples discussion boards), I’ve read about others having the same problem but i still can't find a solution.
    I suppose its not really that big a deal, it's just a little annoying… :rolleyes:

Any help would be fantastic!!

Thanks !! :)

2. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

oh, i forgot to metion that i downloaded iTunes at home an installed it on my PC. Tried access my account from there, thinking it would work, but the same error message appeared. (grr)

Is there anyway i could "reset" my account or something?

3. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Oh no, I've been having the same problems too last night while downloading an Album. Everything downloaded except the last song. What happens is that it downloads, then the solid status bar turns to pinstripes and then goes to that same error. I tried it a couple of time last night (use the check for purchased music option), and it still has teh same problem. I havn't tried it yet today..hopefully it will work.

4. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

I've tried all sorts of ridiculous combinations for checking purchased music when not logged in, signing in, resting error messages etc etc

The error code still shows its ugly face.

5. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Well, first of all the Shopping Cart is stored on iTMS servers not on your own computer, so you must be signed-in to iTMS to access your Shopping Cart.

Secondly, the iTMS Shopping Cart is designed to hold only a relatively small amount of data, not an infinite amount. So if your Shopping Cart gets to be over, I think, 500 entries, then it starts to slow way down. If someone tries to put over 1,000 entries, iTMS Shopping Cart will then definitely fail at some point. iTMS Shopping Cart was not designed for that much data and it becomes simply too much for the system to parse and deliver.

You can create "wish lists" in iTunes and so far these seem to be unlimited, as these wish lists are stored on each computer locally. Create a new playlist, then you store songs from iTMS in playlists that you create in iTunes by dragging the song from iTMS to your wish list playlist.

You have two options for your current iTMS Shopping Cart:
    Option One, keep trying to re-load the iTMS Shopping Cart, you will continue to get that error, yet eventually the Shopping Cart will load. Please be warned, this could take hours and many numerous attempts. Once it finally loads, drag the songs from the iTMS Shopping Cart to a wish list playlist that you've created, then delete the songs from the iTMS Shopping Cart. Only keep songs in the iTMS Shopping Cart that you actually intend to purchase before leaving the iTunes Music Store session, not songs you just have a passing fancy or interest in.

Option Two, contact iTMS Customer Service and ask to have your iTMS Shopping Cart reset. This will purge your iTMS Shopping Cart and reset it to no song entries. Then from this point on only keep songs in the iTMS Shopping Cart that you actually intend to purchase before leaving the iTunes Music Store session, not songs you just have a passing fancy or interest in. For those songs you can create a wish list using a playlist.

6. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

Thank you for that reply!

I was thinking that there must be some way to reset the shopping cart! I might have to contact iTunes customer services.

There is no way i could have more than 50 songs in the cart as it is. I had 2 albums, which i know of and then a few songs from "the 100 greatest pop videos" which i watched a few days ago here in the UK :p

It really isn't that big a deal, but i'd really like to know what caused the problem in the first place.

Thanks V Much for your time.

7. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I only have 5 songs in my shopping cart, so that is not the prob. I also have been receiving that error. just got it tonight when trying to enter a pepsi code. I think it might have to do with traffic on the site. Seems the whole thing has been slow lately.....

8. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

You are very welcome. With the low number of songs in your iTMS Shopping Carts, I think you all (EGT, imac9556, and mojohanna) are experiencing network traffic trouble more than anything else. A frequent request for iTunes and iTMS is wish lists, which has been available and capable since the introduction of iTunes 4.0 and the iTunes Music Store. The majority of users don't seem aware of this feature yet, and maybe it seems a bit quirky dragging a song from the iTMS to a personal playlist in iTunes. iTMS songs can be dragged to any playlist and mixed with songs already in your iTunes library (useful for "theme" playlists), however they will only play a 30 second sample and will not record (burn) to CD.

Have a great week! Cheers.

9. EGT thread starter macrumors 68000

EGT

It's working!!!! :eek: Finally its working!!!!!

I was about to give up all hope and see if my powerbook could fly, but now thats its fixed i'll wait until its recycled and made into aircraft parts.

:D

10. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

lol, same, worked the night I first posted in this topic. srry I didn't update you all earlier :)

11. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'm having a problem getting the iTunes store to display... I'm wondering if they are having traffic overrun with the Pepsi iTunes deal going on.