iTunes Store Now Accepting Donations for Superstorm Sandy Relief

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 31, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has launched a new page on its iTunes Store allowing users to easily donate money to the American Red Cross toward Superstorm Sandy relief efforts. The donation page, which is accessible through the desktop iTunes Store as well as the iTunes and App Store apps on iOS, permits donations at the $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, and $200 levels.

[​IMG]
    Apple will transfer 100% of each donation directly to the American Red Cross, allowing users to have their donations seamlessly billed to their existing iTunes Store accounts. With Apple currently holding over 400 million iTunes Store accounts with credit cards attached, the company has a very significant customer base that can take advantage of the donation program.

Apple has conducted several similar campaigns in the past, most recently in March 2011 following the Japanese earthquake and tsunami and in January 2010 following the Haitian earthquakes.

Update: Apple has now added a link to the iTunes Store donation page on the main apple.com page.

Article Link: iTunes Store Now Accepting Donations for Superstorm Sandy Relief

2. macrumors G4

daneoni

3. pk7
    macrumors 6502

I love it when Apple does this. Generous move.

4. macrumors newbie

Why would someone donate through Apple instead of directly to the Red Cross? I think it's nice that Apple is raising awareness, but it seems just as easy to do it directly to the Red Cross (plus then it's tax deductible).

5. daneoni, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2012

macrumors G4

daneoni

iTunes store gets more eyeballs than the Red Cross site. Also Apple already has a lot of credit card details on their servers. One click is all it takes.

6. macrumors 65816

The awkward moment when Apple has billions of liquid dollars and will not donate anything. Hypocrisy at its finest.

7. macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's almost as if they're a publicly traded company with the sole purpose of making money for the shareholders! Those heartless bastards. :rolleyes:

8. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Exactly, so why are they pretending otherwise?

9. macrumors regular

Good Move!

I love it when Apple does this. If I mailed a check to the Red Cross, my name would be get on a list and they'd spend at least 1/2 of what I sent them begging for more. They still may piss away 1/2 the money on begging campaigns, but at least they won't be filling my mail box with their crap.

So Thanks Apple, for letting me donate in a secure and anonymous manner and still have confidence that the money will actually make it to the Red Cross.

10. macrumors 6502

And how would you know?

11. macrumors member

please post a copy of the receipt from your donation............hope its more than $5

12. macrumors 6502a

They shouldn't have to. People are using their iPhone's to dial 000 which if they could not they would die. Apple has saved thousands of lives already.

13. macrumors regular

14. macrumors P6

Peace

15. macrumors 6502a

If I donate, I want to know where my money's going. For example, a rural family who lost their home would be great. But I wouldn't want my money going to some rich Manhattan-ite whose Porsche was flooded in their $600/month underground parking space. For that reason, I'm not donating. I'll wait for the next disaster. Sorry East Coasters!

16. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

How is it generous of Apple allowing you to donate your own money? It's convenient, but not generous.

----------

As if I'd post what I do here. I'm like Steve. I give secretly. You should be defending me.

17. macrumors 6502

Fishy. Apple gives you an iTunes receipt. You do not get to write your donation off for tax purposes. It sounds like apple is using this to write your donation off on their taxes.

18. macrumors 6502a

Excuses, excuses.

19. macrumors member

when you make charitable doantions you do get a reciept. you need that receipt to prove that you made the dontation in case you ever get audited by the irs.

The donation is a write off for those who donate. Apple can not write off the doantion on your behalf.

20. macrumors member

Are the donations for the people or for the damaged Apple stores?

21. macrumors regular

I'll donate. Its my duty to help those less fortunate than I. I do not rely on the government to relieve me of my responsibility to my fellow Americans and fellow man.

I appreciate Apple making it easy for me to do this.

22. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I'm not harassing anyone. I am merely pointing out that Apple making it easy for YOU to donate YOUR money isn't a generous act on Apple's part. They make it convenient for you. And as usual, there is a deluge of people defending Apple at all costs. If this was Google or Microsoft, they'd be considered cheap, wouldn't they?

23. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Did I miss the article where they pretended otherwise? They are just letting people use their iTunes accounts for some philanthropy. It gets them good publicity, it puts the option in front of a lot of eyes, and it allows people who aren't comfortable for whatever reason entering their cardio care number in a browser. Plus it costs Apple no money beyond normal server costs. Win win win.

----------

No, they wouldn't. Publicity traded corporations raised money through a public offering of shares in their company. When they do this it is implied that they will do whatever they can to give the shareholders the best possible return on investment. If the shareholders want to donate the cash they earn, that's up to them.

If anyone has a problem with this, it's not with Apple. It's with the market system.

24. macrumors 68030

skaertus

I tried to make a donation, but it is not available in the Brazilian's iTunes Store (it says that the store of my country doesn't support donations). And, of course, Apple does not allow me to have a US account without a US credit card...

25. macrumors regular