iTunes, subnets, and sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buckuxc, Feb 9, 2004.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003
    Is there anyway to share my music across subnets of my university network, if say I give someone my IP address? Not too many Windows iTunes converts here yet, but a friend of mine also has a Mac. She's on a different subnet from me in the dorms, and when I'm connected to the wireless network, which I am frequently, I'm on a different subnet with even fewer people. Thanks.

2. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Change your music directory to a folder within your Public folder?

3. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2003

Did that just share the stream? or did that share the actual files? And why, after changing it to public in iTunes, is the folder accessible in Music:iTunes:iTunes Music instead of username:public:iTunes Music?

4. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Because each subnet is probably behind its own firewall (where they have blocked incoming requests on port 4689), the short answer is, no, you can't.

If this is not the case, however, it is possible. What you must do is use a program called 401-ok (something like that), which redirects incoming requests on port 4689 to the iTunes port (3689). This is necessary because Apple has disabled iTunes sharing across different subnets, so you need to fool iTunes into thinking the request is coming from a computer on the local network. 401-ok does this.

Then you can give the people on the other subnets your IP and they can connect to you at

I'm not sure how they can type in your IP address in the new version of iTunes, but I'm sure someone here can fill that in for you.
  5. boskie macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2001
    North Side Of Itchy Town
    Check out This Thread over @ I think you'll be pleased.

How about sharing iPhoto libraries as well ;)