iTunes subtitles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Machead III, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Machead III macrumors 6502

Machead III

Oh man, it's driving me absolutely mental now. Not having subtitle support in iTunes, even now with an Apple movie store, is so earth-shatteringly idiotic it defies belief.

Not only can't I enjoy foreign language films through iTunes, but many english language films that occasionally use subtitles.

Take The Godfather for instance. If you have the DVDs, whenever the script includes italian, if you've ripped it to iTunes, you'll be completely unaware what tf is going on.

Can someone write some little script or other that gives iTunes the ability to play .srt or .sub or something? I mean really, it's just so brain alteringly moronic of Apple.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which is why subtitle support is one of the announced features of QT8, coming soon to a Mac or PC near you.

EDIT: The subtitles are most likely already in the iTMS M4V files just with no way to display them in QT. IIRC Nero supports subtitles in their MPEG-4 implementation on Windows.

B

3. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Can't Handbreak rip the subtitles off DVDs and embed them into the video?

4. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

It can but they look pretty awful. Plus, I watch my films with non-english speakers occasionally, so I had wanted to be able to mix and match subs depending on who was watching.

It's also handy with some films to find better subtitles if the translations included with your DVD aren't particularly good. This can quite often be the case with small, independant films from abroad.

But I mean really, if Apple were serious about movies, you'd have thought they'd realise this glaring omittance in iTunes. I mean really, it's like not supporting the stereo playback of music - it's so fundemental, especially these days when people are a lot more willing to try foreign language films.

And I mean, any film nut worth his/her salt is gonna have at least 25% of their collection in a language other than english. I'm guessing about 40-50% of mine is in either French, Spanish or Chinese.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I hate repeating myself, but they know definitely about it.

ISO standard MPEG-4 subtitles are planned and announced for the next release of QT which will ship with Leopard if not sooner.

Just be patient.

B