Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
I downloaded my first 2 songs today to my iPad 4 and that went smoothly. I thought I should create Genius Playlist and saw the onscreen message that I needed to turn Genius On thru iTunes on my Mac. I am a new MBP owner and have not synced it to my iPad before but I thought this was the thing to do to get this Genius turned on.

Connected the USB between the two and came to the page to start the sync. I did not check the“backup to this computer" just checked “sync with this iPad over wifi".

It has now been 3 hours and my MBP says “waiting for items to copy" and the little wheels keep spinning. What items? this was 2 songs and I have nothing of any significance on the iPad or MBP to take this long. Is this time typical or should I do something to stop this sync?

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Just stop the sync and start over. That's way too long for a sync.

Well, I hit Done and then Quit in Itunes. Got the msg it wasnt thru, did I still want to quit, yes. Now when I reconnect the usb my iphotos come up, dont need to do anything there so hit the red circle, before when I got out of the iphoto window, a screen came up to start the sync, this time nothing happens. What have I messed up?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Well, I hit Done and then Quit in Itunes. Got the msg it wasnt thru, did I still want to quit, yes. Now when I reconnect the usb my iphotos come up, dont need to do anything there so hit the red circle, before when I got out of the iphoto window, a screen came up to start the sync, this time nothing happens. What have I messed up?

Nothing. Stopping the sync won't hurt anything. I've probably done it 30 or 40 times. Of course now I don't sync with iTunes at all, but that's a whole different thread.

So it's not auto-syncing? BTW, you can tell iPhoto to not open when you plug in your iOS device.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Nothing. Stopping the sync won't hurt anything. I've probably done it 30 or 40 times. Of course now I don't sync with iTunes at all, but that's a whole different thread.

So it's not auto-syncing? BTW, you can tell iPhoto to not open when you plug in your iOS device.

Auto-synching? IDK how to do that, but I would like it to do that. I actually have 2 iPads. Bought the songs on iPad4, somehow in all my synching problems managed to get the songs to show up on my MBP but on my iPad 2, I tried to sync that one with my MBP and it seemed to go very quickly thru the sync process but no songs ever showed up in my music app. I had to download them manually individually from my purchases in iTunes. I even tried to get them first to show up using icloud backup but no luck.

And yes, I would like to know how to keep iphoto to not open when I plug in the IOS device. Thanks for your help.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
You tired to get them to show up through an iCloud backup? How did you go about that? FWIW, I never, ever sync with iTunes. You can turn 'automatic downloads' on and if you download a song/app/book on a device, it's automatically downloaded to all other devices and iTunes. Same goes for if you buy it from iTunes.

To Turn iPhoto off from opening, just follow the steps in this link. You can either turn it off for all cameras or just certain devices.

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/ask-andru-stop-iphoto-plug-iphone/

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the tip on setting iphoto to not open using Image Capture.

I now have automatic download set, purchased some more songs today and was happy to see that they downloaded on both my ipads and my MBP. So far tho I have only taken a second look at them on my iPad 4 and noticed that there are duplicates of them in my music app. I was able to fiddle with it and a screen came up with red dashes on left side of song, when touched had delete show on right. I still have to go fix duplicates on my other ipad and my MBP.

I will be glad when as time goes by I have some of these quirky things figured out.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah, hang in there. There's a lot of quirks to learn. Glad to hear you got it all setup though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.