Itunes telling me not enough free space?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DrumaChick420, Apr 26, 2006.

1. DrumaChick420 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I searched for this problem but couldn't find it on here-
    5G 60 GB video Ipod, just got it two weeks ago. I am a newbie at this so bear with me here.

I so far have put 1394 songs on it from my CD collection, I have ALOT more to add. So every day I do a few CD's at a time. After importing a CD tonight I went to update the Ipod and Itunes gave me this error message-
    'The Ipod cannot be updated because there is not enough free space to hold all of the songs in Itunes music library.' Then it asks me if I would like Itunes to choose a selection of songs to copy to the Ipod....

I did the mistake last week of deleting the library playlist on the Itunes interface although saving it to the library... it deleted all the songs from the Ipod... Ugh, thank god I didn't do too many CD's... So I now know I can't delete that library list there... I thought it looked way too cluttered so that's why I deleted it not knowing any better...

So, what am I doing wrong? Something stupid hopefully? Can you have different library files? What do I have to do in Itunes to fit all these songs on my Ipod? I know the Ipod is capable of it... (Supposedly 15,000.00 songs Apple says...)

If this matters, not sure... Brand New Powerbook G4 two weeks ago... 80 GB.

Thanks for any help.
    Jennifer.

2. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

More details

What compression are you using to rip the CDs? If it's Apple Losless, you won't be able to put anywhere near the advertised number of songs on there.

Also, have you copied any files on the iPod itself that might be taking up precious space?

You can click on the ipod icon in iTunes to see how much free space you have left...

In my experience, iTunes willl copy as many songs as possible to your iPod even after it gives you the "full" error. It will drop off the songs that don't fit.

3. DrumaChick420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, it's telling me I have used 54.28 GB.... The Cd's ripped using Aiff... Is that the wrong format?

4. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

My brother went through this. He had to change each song into mpeg4... took him ages but it got it cleaned up

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, AIFF is an uncompressed file format...huge files. You probably want to be using MP3 or AAC in the range of 128 to 192 kbps.

6. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

In short, yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIFF

Basically no compression. My choice is still MP3 (just for easy exchange with other players and long term usability). For my personal use I chose a custom MP3 import profile, 256bit - 48Khz.

Your mileage may vary.

7. DrumaChick420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh, how do you do that? Should I just wipe everything and start from scratch or is there a way to turn them into mpeg 4's?

Thanks everyone for your responses...

On a lighter note, I love this thing... I took it to work with me today for the first time... I clean houses... I put it on shuffle and it was awesome... :)

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

FYI, songs you buy from the iTunes Music Store are in 128 kbps AAC format. Most people would say that 128 kbps AAC is approximately equivalent in quality to 160 kbps MP3. Moving to higher bitrates gives you better quality...how noticeable that difference in quality is varies from person to person. For listening through an iPod with the included earbuds, you don't need to go much higher than 160 or 192 kbps with your music. If you'll be playing it through a high quality stereo, you're more likely to notice quality differences.

You don't have to re-rip all of your songs that you've already ripped in AIFF format. Once you set up your ripping preferences (in iTunes Preferences, Importing pane), go back to your Library in iTunes, highlight the AIFF songs, and choose Convert Selection to MP3 or AAC (depending on your import preferences). iTunes will automatically duplicate your AIFF songs in the smaller file format. Then go ahead and delete the big AIFF files from your Library.

9. DrumaChick420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, what a difference.. I just got done turning them all into MP3...1511 songs at 18.39 GB. Much better.. :) Thanks again everyone.. :)